Total knee replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I wonder if there's anyone out there with positives sboit a knee replacement tightness, cement like feeling in the thigh, lack of sleep watching the clock go round - actually start hating the thought of going to bed... I am 6 weeks post op and thought it would have started to ease now so a little fed up ... please help as I am starting to wish I never had it done

Jan

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are still too early in the healing process to think the TKR was a mistake.  It just takes so long to heal that most people get tired of the process.  The feelings in your hip, thigh and tightness are all part of it.  Resting properly and only doing as much as you are ready for is so very important so you do not have set backs by over use too soon.  I had a doctor tell it it would be better by 3 months and at 6 months you would rarely even think about your knee.  It gets better
    • Posted

Thankyou my consultant said I should be back to work in 6-8 weeks - just think I am going to be anywhere near going back to work I am a psychiatric nurse

Jan

• Posted

Hang in there. I'm 13.5 weeks post op. It really got better in the last week.

• Posted

Ah that's good to know I know I am a little impatient but I was told I could get back to work in 6-8 weeks which I think is going to be difficult I am a psychiatric nurse

Jan

• Posted

O Jane been there done that!!

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago.

It is hard work to begin with.

They told me it would be about a year before ou really begin to feel the benefits and I reckon that was about right.

I know that sounds a long time at the moment but it is better to be realistic and know the facts.

Please don't give up.

Take care and keep in touhc

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply it looks like I am in it for the long run and will make the most of my time... I definitely don't think I will be ready for work in 6 -8 weeks as I work in the community and on the go all day every day so will just be patient and see how I go thanks again

Jan

• Posted

Everyone goes through this. Just get through the next few months and you'll see light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can accept mentally the fact that the first year is about recovery and then you have the great end result, going forward is boring but time passes and you heal and all the tight feelings go,and your knee works well with a bit of stiffness but no pain on walking, you're half way there.

Get signed off work for a few more weeks if you can, being a nurse involves lots of walking, and with that comes swelling.

It gets better honestly, just about everyone on this forum will have a successful TKR, 

The tight band feeling goes, at six weeks too early, be patient.

• Posted

That's great advice thanks, there will be no problem getting signed off for a few month just I actually do like work and when they said I could get back that was a goal to aim for but I definitely don't think I will be ready, I will prepare myself for the next few months mentally, thanks all again for ur advice

• Posted

I feel the same way Jan. Next Wednesday it will be 6 weeks for me also.
  • Posted

Hi Jan

We are all different , I was around 10 weeks before things started to get more normal.

Keep saying icing and hot baths give a little relief.

Believe it does get better , but very slow

• Posted

So sorry you are in the doldrums... Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

The gel packs are available at the pharmacy...I would purchase four, two in use while two are freezing.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I will head off there today after another long sleepless night I am exhausted
    • Posted

you could add my neurologist advise...our bodies produce melatonin in preparation for sleep...but all of our lights and screens inhibit this natural release...so I now take melatonin 3 mg two hours before bedtime...took a bit. but best sleepI have ever had...

warm hug

• Posted

Just one more thing Jan.

I had a tv in the bedroom, linked to sky, and had earphones with an extension lead.

I was often watching tv at 3-4am, it sent me to sleep, says a lot for the programmes, but also stopped that awful staring at the clock and wishing the night would pass time.

Hubby was banished to the spare room,I think he was glad, at least he got some sleep, and I couldn't heve done with someone else there.

Long films really helped, and I napped during the day, just constantly tired for the first few months.

Just a thought ??

• Posted

Thank you your advice is invaluable my husband works away and have a tv with sky so will watch some fav films to help me and I also think I came off the stronger pain killers too early after 2 weeks so going to try them again see if that helps.... here's to a good night tonight

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.