Total knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

hI,i'm 7weeks post op after a TKR ,i am having this constant ache in my knee,its not pain but just an ache,has anybody else had this .Also i cant sleep as having difficulty getting comfortable.,tossing and turning,and feeling shattered the next day.Am I alone?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

No your not alone believe me it does get better im6 mth post tkr and i sleep no bother now,do get the odd ache every now and again but it seems to be part and parcel of the op.just keep icing n elevate u will get there.good luck.x
  • Posted

Are you using ice packs on your knee? This helps me a lot..The sleeping discomfort, I have to elevate my head to get comfortable.
  • Posted

All normal Dianne. I'm 8 weeks post op and also have a dull ache in the knee with a few stabs from time to time under and around the knee cap. As the others say....ice and elevate your knee. Have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your knee?

• Posted

Hi Dianne I'm also at 7 weeks post op. This is an awful operation, I also get pains but as everything has been cut & pulled around you expect no less. I watched a bid on you tube (post op!!) & it is brutal, as everyone else says rest, ice & elevate. Take your pain meds regularly.

As for sleeping, that is definitely hit & miss! I take ages to settle, I get my knee sorted then my shoulder hurts, then my neck hurts & so on. I even take something to help me sleep!

One thing I am learning from all the guys on here is there is no normal!

If you find something that helps go with it. Don't forget to share with us though. Tiredness is a bugbear but hey this time next year we'll all be skipping about on our 'new' knees - hopefully. Good luck on your journey but we will all be with you 😊X

• Posted

Thank you so much Marilyn,its so good to know you are not alone,I know its going to be a long haul,but its hard day to day X
    • Posted

Hi Dianne, oh yeah it's a slog. No one understands unless they've had a tkr. It's like your whole world is upside down, what with pain, meds, exercising, icing, warming (I find exercise better when the knee is good & warm) & elevating! Factor in resting & visiting the Physio where do you fit in life!

I'm seeing the surgeon next week, scary!!

X

• Posted

Sorry predictive text wrote bid I meant video!!

Either that or my dyslexic keyboard!!

X

• Posted

High dee, you are not alone ,I am 8 weeks post T K R & ican still not sleep through the night, every body keeps saaying you,ll start sleeping ok soon [ but when]

?Olso the ache in your knee will ,or should go soon mine just about has , i think every one who goes through T K R HAS THIS ACHE hopefully it will go soon , good luck     

• Posted

No youre not alone. I'm 9 months post op and still having restless sleep.

Having a baby was nothing compared to this. I'm all over the place.

I dont know whether I'm getting better or worse.I seem to be walking all wrong.

Anyway, I am awaiting hydrotherpahy pool. 

My health has really suffered from this. I had so much energy before, except for the osteroarthritis in my knee but i could manage it with various creams and tablets etc.

I am beginning to widh i had never had it done.

• Posted

I agree Mary, at this stage 14 weeks PO 2 knees done, I was much better taking my pain meds for the arthritis in my knees than what I have to put up with now. I am hoping that it will get better and all be worth it as everyone keeps saying
  • Posted

If you look through the many comments you will soon realise you are not alone just on the recovery road for a TKR operation.

Hot baths, icing and elevation will help. Sleep became better for myself at 10 to 12 weeks

Good healing

• Posted

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.