Total knee replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi had my total knee replacement 2 weeks ago . I know it's early days and I need to be patient. I'm doing everything I know to do . The swelling is causing me great discomfort and I cannot bend my knee further than 50-60.....and that with great pain. Do I really push it or is that detrimental? I ice and elevate and through the day I can cope. At night the swelling and burning feeling increases and I can get very little respite. Any tips ? I I am keen to get moving but can't seem to suss out when I've maybe done too much......or not enough. Lol. Help 😊

1 like, 53 replies

Report / Delete

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Meg. Wow, only 2 weeks post op?? Slow down girl! This surgery takes a long time to recover from. At best you are looking at 12 weeks. Some very lucky people breeze through it in less. But to be brutally honest, many of us still have problems months down the line. We have a great guy from the USA on her who wrote an excellent post. I will post the link for you to read. It's the best thing for anyone who has had this surgery to read.   http://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Not sure if this will go through but other people will do the same thing. The guys' nickname is Chico Marx. I wish you all the best with your recovery. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Shane every bit of info helps. That link was helpful. I find I have a good day then a bad day and am realising this recovery takes much longer and is more difficult than I realised. Onward and upward as they say 😊 I think lowering my expectations might just be more realistic 😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Shan for posting my link.  I hope people find it helpful.

Meg...  Two weeks and you're writing coherent sentences on the Internet? Impressive.  I was either unconscious or writhing in pain.  Just listen to the responses...think marathon not sprint.  I'm almost 10 months out and still not done. Getting strength back in your quads, glutes and core takes hard work and time.

Right now, concentrate on elevation, ice and your pain meds.  No...you cannot push a knee.  Every time you do, it will swell and set you back.  As you start to walk again, try using a FitBit or pedometer to see where your step count limit is and then extend it gradually.  Don't worry about your ROM...PT will work with you on that.  Took me 9-10 weeks, 2x/week to go from -14 / +84 to -1 / +121.  Lots of painful work and there's no way around it.  Gotta break down the scar tissue.

In the end, the pain recedes into more distant memory and you're walking pretty well without meds or aids.  The post talks "ballpark" timing although I've conversed extensively with those who both did it faster and slower than most of the rest of us.  For any individual, group statistics do not apply as each of us walks our own path and recovers at our own rate.  You have no idea where you will fall on the timescale in advance...you just have to go through it.  Don't compare...don't expect...just do the work and get better.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you . That takes a lot of pressure off me as I've been aware that recovery is dependent on what I put into it so I've been determined I'll work hard but lost sight of the immediate post op problems. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm feeling much more chilled about it now 😊

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't expect too much too soon. 2 weeks is a short space of time. I'm at 8 weeks, still swollen answer stiff on certain days. I started physio after 6 weeks, I know others started sooner, depends on your appointments. It is more difficult to get comfortable when you are trying to sleep. Find a position that works for you. When you exercise or walk, you will realise that it gets stiffer. Rest after, ice and elevate. Your bend will improve as time goes on... I found the more I pushed myself, walking etc, I was stiffer for the next few days... remember do it in moderation... I found if I was concerned about anything I either rang physio dept or checked it out on Google. .. good luck 😃

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you seeing a physiotherapist?

I had TKR 4 and a half years ago and it took me 6 weeks and a lot of physio to get me to 90 degrees.

I am assuming you hasve a follow up apointment with the consultant at some point.

Don't give u p or be discouraged, this is a long haul and you are only just starting. Sorry if that sounds disheartening but better to be realistic.

Hang in there.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah , it helps to know that my experience is normal! And it helps to have a more realistic expectation. It's been very much the unknown and I really haven't known what to expect although I read up a lot beforehand! The reality was a shock 😊I have a follow up appt with the consultant in 6-10 weeks and have a set of exercises from the physio to do at home. I'm in the uk. ...Scotland . Thanks for your reply

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you icing? I am 31/2 months out from bilateral TKR. I iced my knees constantly for many weeks, even or especially at night. I also slept in a reclining chair for at least eight weeks because sleeping in bed was impossible.

Everything is much better now--I no longer use ice or take pain pills; I sleep in bed, although sleep remains an issue--but I didn't sleep all that well before the surgery; I am back at work full time. My main issue now is fatigue.

TKR is a difficult surgery, and the recovery period is long. You will get there. Rest, ice, meds, and time. Wishing you well.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Susan . I am icing regularly again particularly at night. Night times are very difficult. I've been greatly encouraged to hear everything is better for you now and think I might try sleeping on my recliner. Thanks for the encouragement I had such a bad night I was beginning to lose perspective 😁

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up