Total Knee Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi

i had a TKR 2 years ago which has been a huge success. My question is I now have severe pain in my other knee, is it common to eventually need the other knee replaced?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That really depends on what is causing your knee pain.  Arthritis can eventually dreteriorate that joint, causing bone on bone, which then calls for a knee replacement. Was your other knee replacement due to arthritis? Some TKR patients have had injuries on one knee of the other that may also lead to eventual knee pain. The other knee could be perfectly fine in that case. Has your pain been coming on gradually and slowly progressing, or was it a sudden onset? Depending on your answers and his exam findings, the doctor may be able to treat with other options such as rest, PT, anti-inflammaory meds, etc. Another thing to keep in mind is that once you have one knee replaced you begin to walk differently, changing the alignment in your whole body. This may have also contributed to knee pain on the other side. A visit to a chiropractor may also be an option to see if they can help with re-alignment issues to alleviate pain.  TKR may be inevitable for some on the second knee, but I would definitely find out what is causing the pain and explore your options for treatment. Best wishes for good news!
  • Posted

I had my second knee replaced three years after the first one due to arthritis.

It was inevitable really, both knees were bad, but I held off with the second one.

I found the second a lot easier to recover from, as I knew what to expect, and have two good knees now!

• Posted

Hi Jeanette I had my left knee replaced a total knee replacement last march 2016 due to arthritis and severe wear and tear in the knee. As i was on so much pain relief for that knee i was unaware of any problems in my right knee until after TKR in left knee and starting to reduce the meds. i then discovered aches and then worsening pain, stiffness and now waking at night. I spoke to my consultant and it said he would expect it to go the same way as my left knee was in such a bad way. I see him again in March for year check up of left knee and he is going to xray and examine right and decide when to do right one.

​I dont mind (i think) having 2nd knee done as i now know what it involves and know it helps but not looking forward to it mentally as i am only 50 and know the long trek ahead again. Best wishes

• Posted

It's really an individual thing but I suspect they do come in pairs.  Got my first last March...putting off the second for another year.  Don't really need it right now but it will be inevitable.  45 years of playing hockey will do that to you.  I wouldn't be surprised if the doc ordered up a helping of "seconds" for you from the TKR buffet...

• Posted

I had tkr oct 2016. My other knee developed a problem where it kept collapsing within 2 months, but this was caused by inflamed tendons. I got mine checked by a physio and exercise and ultrasound has really helped it. Get checked out. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi, had L- partial in Sept. Of 14. Within six monthes the right was giving me problems. Arthritis in the right as well. So second (right) TKR February of 16...one year ago today. Now, another year later my right hip is shot and scheduled for replacement. I guess I'm a member in good standing of the "Joint of the month club" as well as the click and clunk club. Sighhhhhhh....

• Posted

Hi Jeanette...Thats what I hear and since i had my left knee done 7 months ago my right knee is acting up..Your two years out..can i ask you some questions..As i mentioned i'm 7 months total left knee..i,m back at work doing 12 hours shift..i can bike 10-15 miles at a clip...bench press 10lbs with the new knee..squat (have not done that since i was 14years old) but i have problems with stiffness when i stand in one position longer that 2-5 minutes...walking causes stiffness but if i sit a few minutes than it better..problem coming down stairs..seems stiff but sometimes in the morning coming down the stairs is good...after a good work-out - i walk normal but once i leave the gym..here comes the stiffness...doctors tell me i'm still healing but it has effect my life both physically and emotionally...did you have any of these issues and if so..did they improve

• Posted

Hi Flozo

2 years ago today was when I had my right TKR, I found it a very painful surgery to get over as well as an emotionall experience, I felt my life was on hold for so long. I used to be a long distance runner, running marathons and fell running and hiking up the fells, guess I'm now paying for keeping fit.

my running days are well gone now, running on my TKR is well out of the question but life got back to normal and Iv had no problems with my bionic knee (as I call it). Over the past year I have walked  through forests and flat lake walks, no high hill walking tho. I have a place in Spain and can cycle for miles when I'm over there but have to walk up any steep hills. My bionic knee does stiffen up after doing these things but not to the point of causing me any discomfort but I do find myself thinking twice before I enter into anything that might cause too much discomfort. 

New Year's Day walking through a forest i slightly missed my footing, i didn't really think about it at the time but Once I got home I had pain in my left knee and since then it has got worse to the point of now I'm on crutches to help me walk and off work. Im waiting for a MRI to see what the consultant wants to do. so once again my life is on hold until this gets sorted.

it sounds like you are doing really well on your new knee but don't over do it too soon by putting too much pressure on your TKR. I too was eager  to get back to exerciseing and even more eager to prove to myself what I was capable of but be gentle and reep the benifit.

I'm 58 and didn't expect to be having knee problems in my 50s, my mum is 84 and had a TKR many years ago and she is still playing crown green bowling so my aim is to still be doing exercise in my 80's just like my mum.

good luck for the future J 😀

• Posted

hi Jeanette,,so sorry to hear about your set back..Where about the same age..Im a little older 60 but a kid at heart..We share a love for the outdoors and excising..I spent all my life playing sports..biking..hiking..running..you name it..I did it..My only regret is that I did not respect my body..Had no fear..Broke alot of bones reaching for the next thrill..Well it seems we are now both paying the piper..lol..I hope this set back i short coming and that your back up on your feet (knees) soon..Keeping my fingers crossed for you..Good luck..Hope to talk soon..Thanks for the encouragement
    • Posted

Hi Flozo

Thanks for the reply and yes we do share a love of outdoors and like you I was always looking for the thrills with no fear.  Hence my first serious injury..... a skiing accident in Canada just before the mellenium!!  

With my first TKR I was off work for a year, it started with a torn meniscus from running 10 mile 4 times a week, an arthroscopy to fix it went wrong, then another to fix that that went wrong again and that's how I ended up with a TKR, I think I had worn me knee out they said my knee was bad with wear and tear.

while I was off work for a year and my life was on hold, I wrote a book about my skiing accident and what followed, if you fancy reading my story you will find it in amazon ..... My Licky Break by Jay I Truman

if you read it let me me know your thoughts. I'm not trying to plug my book, I actually wrote the story for something to do but after my family read it they said I should publish it so I did.

Anyway hope you have a good day

J😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.