total knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi i have my surgery 6 weeks ago i am doing weii i am driving walking without a cane still have a little pulling pain sometimes but my problem is stiffness  is it normal or can i get some advice please.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Is the pulling and stiffness from the scar tissue or more in the thigh muscle.  I had pulling in the knee area, so the therapist and I would do circular massages around it to break it up.  I still get it and do the same thing.  Mine was done 9 and 11 months ago.  I have more muscular pain in the thigh area when I use my legs to sit down and stand up. I have to use arm rests to get up and down.  I do exercise in the local pool here which helps and take ibuprophen.  Hope you get better soon!
    • Posted

I have some thigh pain sometimes at five months post op. Did you have problems with quadriceps post op, i.e. not able to do straight leg lifts? Just interested..I think my quads are both still pretty weak. I am doing lots of exercises for them.
  • Posted

Get used to it.  "Stiffness", a "tight band feeling", etc. will decrease over time but could linger for 12-18 months.  Normal. 

• Posted

Hi Joan. You are probably going to feel stiffness for a while. I did and at 17 months post op I still get a bit stuff after being seated for a few hours, like in the movies or on an aircraft. I massage my knees and try to do feet exercises and ankle moves whilst seated. The recovery and recuperation is usually slow and long. Be patient and try to go with the flow. Pool walking helps me. x
    • Posted

Pool walking is gooooood,! I find that excellent also! 😊

• Posted

Wow Joan! Just got to say you are doing amazing, driving and walking without a cane. Most people on here including myself would love to be in your position so early on. I am also 6 weeks but dare not drive yet I don't think I could get my foot across from the accelerator to the brake fast enough! I still use a cane to prevent a limp being embedded into my muscle memory. Being stiff is now a part of my life but getting better. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing very well. Stiffness is common for months. Is this related to swelling do you think? Is limb swelling in response to activity? Is so ice and elevate may help.
  • Posted

The stiffness is normal.  It will ease, but you'll need to get intune with your body and feel the level of exercise that you can do, then push a little.  Not so much that you're wrecked the next day.  But, if you keep this up and change your levels, it will all come in good time.

• Posted

Congratulations Joan!!!  I myself am 6 weeks today.   I still use crutches when I leave the house and still cannot drive!  You are amazing!!!  I am still with a lot of stiffness and pulling but keep trying to work it out with exercises!!   I am going to try to use you as my inspiratio
  • Posted

Stiffness seems to be a part of the game! The stiffness happens to me, and I am two YEARS post surgery with my two TKRs! What helps me the most is to KEEP MOVING and to STRETCH! Before I ever move from a sitting position to standing I always stretch my legs, rotate my ankles, and loosen up my joints. Also, once I stand I make sure I am balanced on both feet before taking a step.

Often it seems like I am like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz after the rain...needing an OIL CAN! My husband mentions that, and I laugh, but it really DOES seem A LOT like that! The moving and stretching helps very much. I hope this helps you, too.♥️

• Posted

Yes,  stiffness here also at 13 weeks and sporadic muscle pain at night ( and newly developed kneecap pain).  I am greatful I too can drive and get around quite well. I am working with pool therapy, stretching,  and walking. I consider this to be inconvenient but so much better than where I was that I am willing to be patient, do the work,  and continue to move forward.  Best wishes to you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.