total knee replacement pai

Posted , 15 users are following.

On july 27, 2016, i had a total knee replacement and its been a nightmare. Operated Wednesday, Thursday started therapy, fri i couldn't even lift my leg. Went home Fri, had home therapy Saturday. Pain still at a 10. This continued for 2 weeks. Then it was out patient therapy. 1 month later, knee was worse. Now i got swelling, csnt bend and does not get straight. Stopped pt,. THEN MANIPULATION! !!. Holy smoke. That was on a Monday. At 3:31am, i thought i was giving birth, and im a guy. Pain just hit me. Tears came to my eyes . I really have much more respect for women cause i know this does not compare but for a man, it was MY giving birth. Started pt again, 2 weeks in, i still can't sleep cause of pain. Its 1:30am now. I can't take it anymore. Tired of pills, not eating, miserable, stuck in house. Any tips s on how to deal with this pain? No more pills please.

1 like, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello ephrim, I can only imagine what you are going through right now..I always heard knee surgerys was tough going through I always hear people start feeling better more so near end of their 3rd month of the operation.

I am in my mid 50's & I didn't even have surgery to a sprain or strained knee & now being over 5 months now dealing with my situation has been a nightmare like your's...my knee feels as though it is pulling inside getting very sharp jabbs in different areas of my knee, I started therapy & the therapist had stertyed to bend my knee inwards I wanted to scream & told her I just can't do it with the bending...

I go back on Monday & not looking forward to it & I have a feeling that they are going to do manipulation which is nothing short og agonizing torture which can cause more problems than one can think...I personally will opt out on that & just try to keep using my walker to try to get better..I have issues even with my good leg as well sciatica stiff leg,numbness in toes & swelling of the feet,even today I now have noticed numbness in my one pinky finger to the palm of hand most likely from the constant use of my walker just all has been very horrible dealing with it all & your's sound's much of a big problem though just try to find the best over the counter medication to use personally I use Aleve which works the best out of everything else not 100% but helps out..

I hear many people say ice helps out but that seems to never work for me..heating pad seems to help out but I never go directly on where the pain is at only close to the pain which is better..just hang in there be careful with that manipulation procedure I have heard that can be a horrific nightmare even if they put you to sleep & they are doing that to you...you just may wake up when they are yet doing the manipulation & lose it...I felt that the little the therapist was trying to bend my leg inwards that my leg was going to snap & that was only moving it in 2 inches when laying down....hope & pray the best for you Ephraim just keep hanging in there it does get better...God bless

• Posted

Hi ephraim... I hear you...I know that they say they need to get you moving imediately but sounds like they have really pushed you owwww...I am a woman and I can tell you that this is by far the worst pain ive had to experience ,id rather give birth without any pain relief than to deal with this recovery.If you can just regroup...breath...unfortunately pain management is very ,very important to help you get thru this at the beginning as I've told many ,due to experience.lots of iceing up. Lots and lots.you need to give yourself some time.I dont know what you religious belief is but ,ive prayed alot as well to keep myself from loosing it. You will get pass this although ,when in pain it seems never ending.unless someone..even dr. Have been thru this noone can understand your pain. I want to encourage you that there will come a day hopefully soon that you will feel some relief .Take one day at a time please and dont hesitate to let Dr. Know or nurses how your feeling.thats there job to get you thru this and trust me you will.Honestly it was atleast 4to 6 months before I felt like I could breath.If you are allowed to get in water...pool therapy it is a little less painful.Im up in the evening every night tossing and turning not able to sleep right now myself ...my surgery was a month after yours.I just try not to get ahead of myself and listen to my body.Just try to keep movement going everyday and pushing yourself a bit to make progress is good but not to the extreme because it will just delay your recover.pray the best for you...hang in there ...this too will pass.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear that you are so down with it at the moment it will improve with time i had two tkrs the first was a big shock the second was not much better but i knew what the score was dont allow the physios push you to hard you need to do the exersizes but not cause so much pain that you are almost crying perhaps the meds you are on are not what you need the priscribed meds didnt work well for me go back to your doc and ask for a change of meds i myself found oxycodone 10mg caps rearly help i believe these are quick acting or even morthine to get you over this sore time ice helps for some but rest is important your body will tell you when you can push things a little harder i also think if you are carrying a bit of extra weight its harder im 25 kilo over weight it does make things slower ps take stool softeners being bung up dont help the frame of mind you will improve good luck
  • Posted

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear your agony. I think too much too soon for you. Here's why I say that from my point of view of me having had surgery on September 7,2016. Not quite 4 weeks yet. I had my surgery on a Wednesday, got me up to walk with walker and use bathroom 2 hrs later. Not so bad as the anesthetic they inject in my thigh to cover pain for 48,hrs(did NOTlast 48!) was still in effect. Flash ahead to Thursday night ( my surgery was at 5:30pm Wed night). I was becoming much more uncomfortable but still went for a walk with a walker and was able to wash myself up. Friday (also my 48th birthday) I was supposed to be released. They couldn't get my pain under control with oxycontin and oxycodone ( for breakthrough pain), with Dilaudid through IV. So I was kept another night, with still no PT yet. Pain finally got down to a 7 from a 10. I was released on Saturday with a painful 3 hour ride home. I did not have in home therapy, and because of pain I didn't start out patient physical therapy until day 12 post op. My therapist said I won't do myself any favors by starting when I'm already in pain on meds and nauseous as well. I was still doing my straight leg quad presses and heel slides at home. So around day 17 after 2 PT appointments I was -12 straighening and +67 flex. It's now day 25 and I am stuck at that as of 2 days ago. She told me to take my oxycodone before my appointments so I could push more. I didn't take anything except for Tylenol and ibuprofen last time and it didn't help. It is 5:00am and I have been up 2hrs with some pain. I just made myself some oatmeal. I've lost 6lbs in 3 weeks. Eating, but not a great appetite. I miss going to the gym. Despite not being able to stand up straight get surgery I did everything I could to strengthen my body especially quads. I lost 12lbs before surgery. I wouldn't mind losing now if I knew it was because I was feeling good and trying and not from lack of all from pain and meds. You can do this. I listen to subliminal and hypnosis music for chronic pain on You Tube by a man named Thomas Hall. I stumbled upon this once looking for help with pain, and thought why not. It helps me get some rest if only for an hour at a time. Give it a try! Close your eyes and concentrate on it see if it takes the edge off. I wish you well.

• Posted

Woops wasn't supposed to say lack of pain and meds. Cross out lack of

• Posted

Thanks . Had me cracking up with oatmeal. I eat trix or froot loops, chocolate chips cookies and yogurt just to put something in my stomach in order to take pillss.....2,3,4,5 in the morning.
  • Posted

Hi Ephraim sorry to hear you are having such a bad time unfortunately they have to start exercises right after op when I came home like you I couldn't lift my leg for 2 weeks but you really have to persevere the only thing you really have to do is keep taking the pain killers and don't wait for the pain to get worse. My consultant advised me to take them everyday you need them. Also I cushioned my knee in bed with a pillow between the knees it worked for me. I promise it will get better, take care.

• Posted

Sounds like an absolute nightmare you're going through, and I'm so sorry.

I would urge you to talk to your doc about your pain meds. It would seem obvious they are not working for you. Pain meds are supposed to relieve your pain do that you can exercise, sleep, and otherwise do the things you need to do to heal.

While in the hospital post-op, I was at 10 because none of the meds they gave me (OxyContin, oxycodone, Dilantin) worked except to make me loopy, and morphine worked, but it made me hallucinate. When I returned home, I recalled that Vicodin (hydricodone) had worked for me when I'd had other pain situations, so I tried it, and fortunately it worked.

They do have other meds to try. They've got to find one that works for you.

Also, have you had a follow-up visit with your surgeon? What did he/she say about your knee's condition? Did they take an X-ray to confirm it's where it should be?

I wish you the best. Use the pain as a motivation to fight for yourself with the health care team. They aren't always right, much less attentive.

• Posted

Yes the person who screams the loudest gets the attention. Unfortunately it seems to work that way. I called the surgeons office almost every day when my pain was out of control. You have to stand up for yourself. The PTs aren't doctors. They don't have all the answers.

• Posted

Have the x rayed the knee to make sure it's tracking properly. Obviousily this type of pain is abnormal and needs to be traced back to the source. Several possibilities come to mind. The prosthesis is misaligned, has come loose or is the wrong size. Don't be afraid to ask for another set of eyes .

BTW...where are you located. Seems as though the medical profession in each country has different approaches toward addressing situation like this

• Posted

You make a great point. Tomorrow i ser the doc and i will bring up all your suggestions. Thank you.
  • Posted

WOW you sure got a bad deal. I've had problem, my TKR was on May 12, and had a MUA on August 8, with nerves and bending. I still have a minus 5-10 on flex and I'm only at about 70 with the bend, so not very good. Guessing from here of course but maybe your trying too hard. My swelling lasted over 7-8 weeks, after therapy always iced and at home iced at least a hour or so. I had to elevate and ice as I tried to go to sleep fr weeks. I tried to cut back on meds but had to use some just to sleep. I think you need to spend some time going over your problems with your surgeon maybe he can help with a course of action to get you headed in the right direction. 

Ice and rest with low impact PT.

• Posted

Great advice. Go slow. Maybe needs a different PT as well. That sounds extremely aggressive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.