Total Knee Replacement two & a half months ago

Posted , 9 users are following.

I also feel quite tired and easily worn out even doing simple things around the house or taking short walk.  In addtion to this I have an ogoing sensation as if I have a 'Plaster Cast' arounf the knee. This is very strange, and only developed within recent weeks. I saw the doctor today re. the fatigue, and I am having blood tests soon for Red cell, Haemoglobin, Vit D and thyroid action.  Any comments on the 'plaster cast' ?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm at 12 weeks tomorrow. I just finished some household chores and now BOTH knees hurt!! I had the left one replaced. The thought of having the other one done is daunting!!

I too feel the band, tightness and cast feeling. Others have mentioned this , so I would imagine it's normal.

• Posted

I feel the same way is part of the healing process. ..I have tightness too fid my surg. ,,six weeks ago...is bee. brutal I tire easily
  • Posted

Re plaster cast around the knee my husband who is 8 weeks post tkr also says he has that same feeling at times but not always
  • Posted

Hi there, it's totally normal to feel tired and washed out after such a big procedure but it's good that you're getting your bloods checked to rule out anaemia etc.

Re the "plaster cast"- someone on the forum has often described having "log leg", and I thought that summed it up perfectly! Heavy, stiff, and non-cooperative! Sounds much the same as your plaster cast leg,and again it's absolutely normal. 2 and a half months seems like an eternity when you're in recovery, but really it's still easy days. Keep on with your exercises, plenty of stretching, and you'll get there.

• Posted

wow ..that me....log leg and tire easily...I cant believe...that..knee replacement...can wear you out.....is been brutal....six week In...I feel so frustrated....but tryi g to be positive. .better months ahead. .good luck
  • Posted

I have the same feing too...is like heaviness...snd is bothersome....I hope it goes away soon
    • Posted

Hi Luz,

read ur posts. 6 weeks is still so recent. I'm at 12 weeks and still feeling the effects of the surgery! And now my other knee is acting up!!!

try to have patience with URSELF and do ur exercises, hydrate, elevate and rest. I'm trying to instill in you a positive attitude , BUT I have had the most down day myself. I feel like my complaining is getting old. People think u should be all better by now.!! I'm even tired of my own self!!

my biggest problem right now is that I do not tolerate meds very well. If I could keep the aches and pain down w/ the use of meds I would be ok.

i think I. iChat be getting an ulcer from the anti inflammatory drugs. So stopped them. Sorry for my rant!

take care and remember that 6 weeks is not long since ur surgery. Things will get better.

• Posted

Hi Edda and everyone else just to add a bit of encouragement.

The person to ask is your consultant. I asked mine every conceivable question I could think of.

The band feeling will always be there diminishing slightly over the years. In fact if you think about it it's not a band it's just numbness on the outside edge of the treated knee. Dead leg is a good description and only really is felt to the full only when you actually touch it. That part doesn't hurt though.

Knocking of the joint is due to the swollen knee due to the extra space underneath the skin allowing more movement than normal for your knee cap to move about hence the clicking. As the swelling goes down so will the space and the knocking will stop. The knee I had done in November has stopped knocking altogether but the knee I had done in January has still a little way to go.

If you still have pain then keep taking the meds until you feel that you can start missing some. Don't forget you've been butchered and its going to take time but even after 10 weeks I feel some form of improvement, either in the stairs, the distance and style of walking and the reducing of meds. All in all from personal experience and reading the forums the 12 week Mark is the usual turning point.

• Posted

I haven't had the "Plaster Cast" feeling. I guess it would be caused by scar tissue but at 2 and 1/2 months this should be getting looser not tighter. ??Massage, heat and stretching I guess
  • Posted

Now that I have read other comments I think maybe you are talking about somethine we all have and that is NUMBNESS of the skin. Some of this will be permant and is nothing to worry about.
  • Posted

I am now in the position with my left knee that I have to make a decision to hve it replaced.  I have been having steroid injections for the past 2 years but with various personal commitments I have not been able to say yes to a replacement.  I am now there but totally scared stiff.  I had a hip replacement in 2007 and it started a chain reaction of things going wrong.  I amso don't want a general anaesthetic but am finding it difficult to get anything done here with an epidural.  Both mine need doing but the thought of all that is so daunting it's worrying me a lot.  I have the feeling of the plaster cast around my knee and I haven't had it done so I don't know what the answer is.  I am prepared to exercise and do what I am told but I just don't want to end up worse than I am now.  Arthritis is such a debilitating thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.