Total left knee replacement in 6 wks or so. I am 65 soon to be 66. I have been doing pool exercises

Posted , 17 users are following.

Please only give me encouraging advice. I cancelled this 1 year ago because I was scared to death! Now I am a warrior! Spinal issues too so this might be a challenge. Wear heavy knee brace when I go out, go slow with cane or Walker, that bad now. I can do this, right? I live alone but will have some help come.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You will do fine.  Just go at your own pace.  Be sure and follow through on the physical therapy recommended after the surgery.  It may be difficult at first, but you will be so glad you did.  Absolutely have someone stay with you or if your dr recommends go to a rehab center to stay after surgery for 10-12 days.  If you are in the US, Medicare will pay for your stay in rehab. They also pay for inhome and outpatient therapy, but there is a cap.  I started physical therapy while I was still in the hospital (2 day stay) and immediately when I came home.  There was no lag. I did not go to rehab after surgery as I had someone staying with me for 3 weeks. Don't compare your progress with anyone else.  We all heal on a different time frame. I also had my left knee done and was able to drive about 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery, which was a blessing.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you! My doc is very kind and stated we will see how it goes but if need be, he will send me to a facility. I qualify for all of that, thank Heavens!

I thank all of everyone's ideas. It is scary but I can't go on like this. I have 3 precious granddaughters to have fun with!

• Posted

This forum has been a blessing for me , such great support and advice ..I felt so depressed in my first week and these lovely people made me feel I'm not alone ...I am now 2 weeks after surgery and feeling really positive...😄👍 Chin up you are not alone my love

• Posted

Dear Kathryn,

You can do this! You are very smart to be doing "Pre-hab" exercises before your surgery. Keep up every bit you can tolerate right up to your surgery.

You will need help. Now is the time to rally your friends or to find resources in your community. Set up a schedule so you know who is coming when/what day. My friend takes me to PT to give my husband a break, a few friends have brought food, some have come for a visit. Senior services in your community are likely free to you if you are in the US - don't know how this works in the UK and elsewhere. If you are in the US, search for senior services by the county name that you live in within your state. Use them!

Speaking of food, for the times you're by yourself, you may want to cook ahead and freeze or purchase some easy to prepare frozen or shelf-stable meals. I can only speak for myself - my appetite has not been big at all post TKR - but it is very important that you nourish your body post surgery so it can heal. Soup has been my favorite, and casseroles of course freeze well too.

Stay connected here, because nourishing your mind is important too. You'll find a wealth of folks who are going through this. This forum has been such a comfort to me. Your emotions will be up and down - be prepared for that and stay connected to friends and here online for support.

Every knee surgery is unique. If you've read a lot, I'm sure you've read both horror stories as well as shockingly easy and quick recovery stories. Believe in yourself, and *expect* to have a good outcome. Your attitude is everything. 

Sending you gentle hugs from Ohio,

Nora

• Posted

Thank you! I am a soup person, so that is easy. My spinal problems effect my stomach so I am a light eater. Take very good supplements. I will have home care come in, my doctor is lining it up. I am so thankful for that. Stocking up on food and all supplies. It is a wonderful feeling to have all your ducks in a row, at least try too.

Bless all of you for your kindness. I will be 66 next month, guess parts just wear out!!!

• Posted

I'm 55, so you've made it a decade longer than I have with knees!

Take good care and remember - *expect* a good outcome. I'll share with you one of my mantras as I've rehabbed knee #1:

"I believe in comebacks."

All my best,

Nora

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

This is a new beginning for you, pain free and able to do and enjoy things you could not before. I have had a hip and both knees in the past year. I can use the bathroom with the tub now, do stairs, and yesterday did a full squat first time in 15 years! So exciting, yeah you will go thru some pain and frustration but so worth it. AFTER THE OP, THINK, THIS IS THE FIRST DAY OF MY NEW LiFE, THE WORST IS OVER AND YOU ARE ON THE UPWARD SWING INSTEAD OF DOWNWARD! Please let us know your progress!

• Posted

What a nice thing to say! I just bought another cane today, the 4 prong kind for church and small outings. I have to use the Walker for walks and inside my apt. I wear a knee brace that is built like Fort Knox!! I am glad no one is around me for I find myself saying Ouch all day long!!!

I have out this off since 2000 !

Thanks again for the support!!!

• Posted

Ahh, I have a a four pronged one too, they're the best! Never thought that I would be happy about a great cane!It's taken me on some adventures, went to Fiji 2 months ago for daughter's wedding, with help, I made it! It is suprising though, when you will be able to look back how far you have come. I keep now forgetting my cane places, left it in produce at the grocery store the other day. Kind of nuts, but figure it is a good sign and may be able to give it up completely soon. For a while, didn't think that would happen either. Keep your chin up, use this forum, it saved me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.