total right side shoulder replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had total shoulder replacement surgery about 7 months ago.my pain level is still pretty high 7 to 9.i go to physical therapy 3 times a week for 2 hours a day. My pain is at the joint,in the armpit area and also in the back in shoulder area.ANY ADVICE

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have had my right shoulder replaced twice, result of a bad skiing injury. The first replacement was painful and they ended up reducing the size of the
    • Posted

as I was saying.....they reduced the size of the ball. Second replacement has been much better and really little pain. The intensive physio you are having may be causing alot of muscle pain. If you stop the physio for a few days does the pain lessen? If you are making good progeress with your ROM and strength then you are probably on the right track and once you can reduce the physio with all the stretching and pulling you will probably be ok. If the pain is such that you are unable to make progress with the physio then I would go back to see the surgeon and see what he says. You may have some form of impingement that needs to be corrected. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Yes I'm making slight progress in ROM but the pain is always there sometimes more intense. After my last 3 visit to the doctor and I continue to say the same thing regarding the pain in the joint area,the armpit, and the back of the shoulder,,along the shoulder down past the bicep/tricep he says because of the muscles that haven't been used?
    • Posted

How long were you unable to use your arm? Was yours due to artiritis or an injury? Did you have alot of cuff repair as well as the replacement? 
    • Posted

It was injured at work last year July 2014 didn't have surgery until July 2015. My rotary cuff was good. I had a total replacement
  • Posted

What does the Physical therapist think? If he/she has experience with shoulder replacements they should be able to tell you if your progress in in line with expectations. My PT is good about telling me that it is time to go back to the surgeon and have a chat went he thinks my progress is not what it should be. Has your surgeon done a scan to see how the implant looks? 
    • Posted

She the pt therapist thinks I should discuss this pain I am having to the doctor . My range has improved but my pain is constant. She adjusted my routine to see if there's any changes. I have a follow up with the doctor next week. ..
    • Posted

I'm interested to see what the doctor says next week. I am 5 months post-p from my second replacement now. Pain is really not an issure and my passive ROM is good by my active ROM is not so good. Still can not lift my arm above shoulder height when standing. Hope your Dr. has some suggestions for you.
    • Posted

How long was your first replacement last before you had your second? Same shoulder? I am very frustrating with the pain all the time I thought it would be better by now? I glad you're doing well.
  • Posted

second op was about a year after the first but I had a decompression in between. My shoulder was a big mess so they didn't get it right the first time. I had a lot of cuff repair done the second time. You can ask you doc to have a look with a CT or ultrasound. That may give a clue as to where the lasting pain is coming from. All I know is that the whole point of a getting one of these artificial joints is to make you "pain free"!
    • Posted

I agree.... after my right shoulder is all set my left shoulder I have a tear in the labrum and a have a bump maybe a muscle strain?
    • Posted

After seeing the doctor yesterday he gave me prescription for prednisone it is a steroid for inflammation for the next 5 days, also a muscle relaxer for the spasm,and try dry needling... it's too early for a cortisone shot he said and follow up with him in 4 weeks ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.