Totally devastated

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wrote before about last lap to Friday 13th.    Having got my bag packed and geared up to drive over to Manchester tomorrow, I have just had a phone call to cancel my op.   I know it can happen and an emergency will take priority, but you really get yourself geared up ready and I feel totally deflated.   Date changed to 9 December - that will mess Christmas up.  I thought the timing had been pretty good with six weeks to Christmas.

Angela

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

O no thats horrible as you say all ready to go. What are you having done ? 

Mind you the 9th of december has its plus side , you will have to be waitied on all over the festive season

Good Luck  

• Posted

That's awful for you,Angela! I am dreading this happening to me....I have a revision tkr  booked for 30th Nov.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that. It takes so long to get mentally up for it, then comes that lunch in the gut that really hurts. Certainly hope it wasn't that your surgeon is superstitious. If so maybe its best to cancel. Take care and hope you get in soon
  • Posted

oh im so sorry that it got cancelled . ,nothing worse as you were all geared up for the op . i had my bi lateral a few years ago on the 6th of december ,just make sure you have all shopping of gifts for christmas ,and get an invite for christmas dinner if you can ,i did christmas dinner myself ,hubby helped but it was exausting and i would not recomend it . most important is to keep up the excersises for your legs keep them strong and i wish you the very best with the op x
  • Posted

Oh Angela, I just logged on to wish you good luck for tomorrow - you must feel dreadful. I was worried sick that mine was going to be cancelled, right up to the point that I was anaesthetised, and it was a horrible feeling.

I know it's difficult right now, but I always try to work on the basis that everything happens for a reason. I'm sure that there's a perfectly valid reason for the cancellation, but that's cold comfort to you right now.

Try and have a good sleep, then get your Christmas shopping head on!

Take care, and you can always message me if you want a private rant xx

• Posted

Thanks Terri.   This is going to impinge on Christmas.  I am also not going to meet up with you at physio which is disappointing.  But such is the way of the world.

Angela

• Posted

My revision had to be postponed 4 weeks because the surgeon couldn't guarantee getting the kit he needed for the op and I thought it would be the longest 4 weeks of my life. However, I survived the first 3 weeks and have no idea where the last one went. Don't worry about Christmas, just let everyone else take care of you - it's a major op and you shouldn't even have thought about being better for Christmas just be selfish and concentrate on yourself.

By the way I'm nearly 8 weeks post op and my lovely husband has booked us Christmas in a 5 star hotel and I'm not even limping now!

• Posted

Thanks everyone.  Feeling a bit as if I have been kicked in the teeth.  I know it happens and I could have been the emergency and someone could have been cancelled for me.   But you really gear yourself up for something like this and I feel a bit rudderless at present.  

The final thing was that I had a letter from the hospital yesterday with my reporting instructions for 9th December, plus a second letter saying I now need another pre op assessment because out of time.   This will be the third pre op I will have had for this operation.   Would not mind if I was still local but a two hour trip each way for an MRSA and blood test is not good! 

Actually some of you had said get christmas shopping done.    I was so organised this year.  Christmas dinner is coming from M&S, already ordered down to the gravy so day could be more enjoyable.  Christmas cards and presents all bought - the cards ready for me to write when I am sitting with my feet up after op.  ~Freezer full ready for op.  Even have a menu and shopping list for family day on Boxing Day - 9 of us.  I will not now be doing it on my own - daughter and cousin will help.  Can't believe I am so sorted by beginning of November.  Even bought the frozen peas!!!

Angela

• Posted

how i wish i lived near you angela !!! i could bum the christmas dinner and boxing day (its st stephens day here in ireland), now that would be a treat lol  !! . time will pass quickly and you will be posting here in a few weeks just before you go in  ,keep thinking good thoughts .xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.