Totally exhausted all the time

Posted , 10 users are following.

18weeks after a total knee replacement after a year of operations and infections. I feel exhausted all the time is anyone else having this problem?

0 likes, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes yes yes, same as, no appetite, exhausted,irritable, in lots of pain, and can not even get one night decent sleep
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The more you are subjected to the longer it takes. I'm over a year out from my last one but had a long term battle with staph and all of The surgeries related to that and I'm still fighting the fatigue. I'm also the caregiver for my wife who has Parkinson's and some evenings its pretty hard to put dinner on the table and still have the energy to eat. Stay hydrated and rest when you can.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My husband is certainly feeling the pinch, waiting on me, doing alot of duties I used to do, facing a wife who is not interested in the boodwa boogie, but still hanging in there loving me.  For this reason I know I will make it and be okay at some point.  I refer to the Fatigue  as lack of stamina.  Doesn't take long to be tired and needing to lay down and recharge.  I'm sure that gets better too.  Welbutrin is a med that might help with what you are dealing with.  I would go on it, but don't feel I am that down, that often.  My husband sure thinks I need it cuz I do complain, and I am particularly troubled just before PT where they are now pushing for greater ROM.  Not fun, but necessary.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes because it's all an effort for body and mind. Don't forget this was major surgery. Draining and hard road to recovery. I tried a pick me up - tonic or tablet and it helped - but as time went by and I was getting proper uninterrupted sleep I felt better but still had a power nap each day. I'm 18months now and sadly the other knee is getting bad which is putting pressure on the operated leg. But I have not been tired since about 9 months - in fact I now can't get to sleep - back to my pre-op energy levels for sure . Just be patient if your body tells you to rest then do so.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am. I'm 5 months on my left and 3 months on my right and I'm tired all the time. I think it's just natural with all the trauma your knee goes thru during the surgery. Just listen to your body

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone, I feel so lazy, I just wake up and want to go back to sleep again. I am wishing my life away hoping as time goes on it will get easier. Sometimes I wonder why me, the pain is unbearable, I dread PT as it hurts so much, I'm struggling to get over 95 in my rom which is frustrating!! I'm 42 and want my life back.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jane you're 18 weeks I think you said. It's still early in your recovery. I'm 2 years post op, both knees 3 months apart, I'm back at the forum because hip went bad 6 weeks post op doing good. Anyway your ROM is at 95, I know getting that flexibility back is tough. My knees were bad, at least 6 years of pain and Advil and finally could only walk with crutches the last year. Finally got surgery done, why did I wait so long! I did get to 110-120 ROM finally, left knee back to 100 now maybe. The knees still work good even if you don't get full ROM back.

You have more work ahead of you if want to get strength back. Try stationary bike to push the flexibility of your knee, also after PT stretching the knee flex with yoga strap. I just wanted to give you encouragement that you will get stronger if you work at it. Also takes a long time for the body but to recover from the surgery, and the anesthesia, I know I still wasn't sleeping right at 4 months.

I found that I really started to enjoy the PT, 3 times a week for 1-2 hours, for more than a year. Also walked every day about a mile with the dog, my partner in PT! You need to keep pushing the exercise, it makes all the difference!

You're young, I've got 20 years on you. You can do this, you need to do this! There that's my pep talk for you. I really wish you well ! Dave

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Dave for your pep talk, I think that's why I'm so frustrated and this fatigue is getting me down so much, I was such an active person always on the go at much speed hence my accident fell out the loft trying to carry more than I should have smashed up my whole leg tib,fib and smashed my knee cap. Had plates an pins in, but took an infection was on antibiotics orally and intravenously for 6 months before being referred to a top surgeon as they didn't know what to do with me. TKR done and now basically fighting for my life back, my family are amazing. Thanks again off to my pedals as I can't quite cycle my exercise bike yet but I'll get there.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Jane you've been through a lot more than just a knee replacement. Might be why your struggling with ROM. I told you my ROM is only about 100 on left knee. My left knee cap was fractured during the surgery, have one small screw sideways through it. Had to wait to do very much PT until bone healed. Never quite got the ROM of other knee, but it works good and doesn't hurt.

You have been through so much, it just takes time. You have a good attitude, that's half the battle. Diet and exercise so important for energy level. Walking really helped me psychologically and physically along with the 3 days a week PT.

You said your fighting fatigue, is the pain mostly gone? Just be consistent with your exercise, you know swimming can really help too. Makes you sleep better! Good luck Jane, keep us posted here with your progress. Dave

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If nothing else good comes out of this surgery, learning that we aren't always in control is the big thing. As has been stated several times in several ways, this is a process that has to be gone through from start to finish and disrupting it with trying to go full speed is a recepie for disaster. People get speed and tenacity confused. Tenacity means staying with the program, doing things correctly not quickly. Speed is the enemy. For example, when you start relearning to walk properly and most of us spent months pre surgery, walking with a limp trying to do anything we could to prevent pain. Now we have to correct that so we slow down , stride comfortably...hit heel, ball of foot, toe and Ben ascfarcascpossible .....with both legs. Slow...yes, crazy looking to strangers....yes but most assuredly the way to proper recovery. From the beginning my therapists 1st words....stand up straight, slowly walk. Every surgery and rehab since then the slow down and do it right rules apply. Its like the rather crude definition of discretion: its the difference between scratching your a** and tearing the hell out of it.

Slow down, drink lots of water, rest every chance you get, do you exercises but dont overdo , elevate, meditate, think pleasant thoughts and review the definition of discretion occasionally. This is a marathon not a sprint. There are no 1st place medals in this race because everyone is running their own race at their own speed. Good luck......you'll finish the race at your own pace.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Jane, I had my tkr April 11th, and I feel great. I was tired, I was in excruciating pain, I thought I'd never feel normal, I thought I'd never walk properly again. I thought I'd never sleep properly again. 3 and a half months after I flew 6 hours for holiday. Not used sticks since before that. Just got back yesterday from a week in Spain, we live in UK, and slept 11 hours last night.

Just give it a bit longer, you will get there, everyone is different. Just keep resting, that's your body's way of coping with your injury. Best wishes.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Still exhausted after 6 months . I was told that your knee needs all of your energy to heal therefore leaving anything else for the rest of you. As you heal the energy will come back. Good luck! I It' s a long road. !!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up