Trace of protien in urine.worried!!!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had 5 urine test in last 1 year. This time found traces of protien in urine. I am now worried. I feel tired and sleepy too. Should get blood test or repeat urine test again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The best way to get a true reading of protien loss is a 24 hour urine collection, it is more accurate than a dipstick test.  If you are worried ask for this, its simple to do and shouldn't be a problem for your GP. You have a 5 ltr container and do exactly what is says on the tin, you collect your urine for 24 hours then take it to your local hospital for them to run tests on.  Due to the volume of urine they can produce a detailed report and hopefully put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Follow Helen's advice. You pee in the container They can tell if you forget to empty your bladder in the container.

Years ago in 1985, that how they detected my protein because within one week, it went from. 5, to .7, to .9 to 1.7.

If it goes over 2.0 I was told my kidneys could fail, but it never got that high until 2014. Which is why I am on dialysis now. But then again, I have 2 genetic kidney disorders. So I knew I would eventually go on dialysis back in 1985.

Some people suggested to limit protein, but in my case that didn't work.

I was on about 3 different drugs to prevent my kidneys from failing, none if then worked, like Gen Graf and predisone.

I got a kidney biopsy and that how I found out that I had 2 kidney diseases, one is called minimal change without no high blood pressure and the other was called FSGS, focal segmental glomerosclerosis with high blood pressure.

Without dialysis my body swells up with water. Back in 2014, through dialysis I lost 40 liters of water or 88 pounds of water. Orginally. I thought I was gaining fat because in January 2014, I weighed 200 pounds, by July 2014, I weight 112 pounds, and I looked like a skeleton and I looked like a very old man, almost like those individuals who have the AIDS virus.

But eating a lot of protein, I have gained some weight. My fry weight is 144 pounds or 66.6 kilos.

The dialysis center I go to

measures my weight before the treatment and after treatment, by kilos.

I am 65 and I hope I can live like this forever. But due to circulation problems, I cannot get a kidney transplant.

I am not mad or sad. Some people are lucky to get a transplant and I am not one of them.so why be depressed. A close member if the family got a kidney transplant one year ago, am I jealous.NO, he was lucky to get one. Will it last, that is in God's hand.

I was lucky to be on dialysis because many years ago people died. But I chose to be on dialysis, some people refuse, which is their right.

I hope you have a long way before your kidneys fail but if you limit potassium and phophorus products (dairy) you may be able to prolong your kidney functions.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.