Travel anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm currently at an airport hotel dealing with major anxiety and panic attacks to the point where I want to go home where I feel safe. However this isn't an option as I'm taking my children to New york for Xmas along with my boyfriend. Any help.ohelp.or advise to get me through the flight

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joanne,

Congratulations on getting that far with your travel anxiety. I have been suffering with this for a couple of years and know all too well about what you mean about going home. But you have made it this far. I have not attempted a flight, but I would like to in the future. I'm still working on driving distance, and rain, at night, etc.

On Thanksgiving I just had to bite the bullet and drive to my family in heavy rain in the dark. My mother drove and I held her hand and just took calming breaths, and I felt safe with her, and knew I was going to see my family. After I made it there it wasn't as panic inducing and the ride home was much less anxious. I drove today in the rain and it was no big deal. I know that it can feel disorienting, and everything is closing in, but you will be fine. Your family loves you and are going through this with you together and are there for you.

You can meditate on the flight, distract yourself with your family and know that they love you, you have support right there with you. If you have a tablet watch a movie, have a drink if that helps. Remaining positive and keeping pleasant thoughts seem to help me a lot. You can also get magnesium or GABA supplements from a drug store and that will help to keep you calmer and they are safe and natural.

I have a feeling you will feel much better after taking this flight and will have taken a huge step in conquering your travel anxiety, you're stronger than you know. Have a safe flight and please update us. Merry Christmas.

• Posted

I hope your return journey was much easier. For your next trip try these things, I have terrible travel anxiety sometimes it's worse than others, and even the thought of travel can make me anxious

1.Breathe: use an app to help regulate your breathing, even if you already have stomach issues this will help prevent it from turning into a panic attack

2. Immodium for IBS: You can take this before you start to get anxious, I take it as soon as I wake up to I don't have to worry about diarrhoea which will only make the anxiety worse.

3. Rescue remedy: not sure it actually calms you, but it taste so gross on your tongue that it changes your thoughts for a moment enough to step back a little

4. Focus on something: something far away, something you can touch, something you can smell, it helps you feel grounded in your environment.

5. Listen to a pod cast: something slow and something to concentrate on. Ask your partner to look after the kids and take a slow walk if you can. I find sitting down or standing in one place can make me feel as though everything is closing in on me.

6. Plan ahead: if travel I have everything written out on a piece of paper (just in case there no WiFi and panic ensues) it's also something to fiddle with to get rid of energy.

7. Give yourself time: I always give myself an hour extra just in case.

I still get anxious in the run up but at least some of the physical symptoms are lessened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.