Travel with acid reflux!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Like alot of people suffering from reflux/GERD I now sleep on a sloping mattress at home.

I would like to try travelling a bit, and would like to buy a full length inflatable inclined mattress, as I find only using a portable sloping pillow does not help.

Also, one can not rely on finding the sort of bed frame where one could just put a couple of bricks under the legs one end to incline a bed in a B & B; holiday rental or hotel.

There are several makes of inflatable mattresses in the USA, but neither Company are able to ship to the UK. (eg see gravity1st website as an example of what I am after).

Has any member managed to buy a full length inclined inflatable mattress either here in the UK, or ordered from abroad? Or know of a supplier here in the UK?

Will appreciate any experiences with this problem, or suggestions where to buy an inflatable mattress.

Thanks in advance. nfa

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Slightly off topic if you take PPI's and your stomach acid is reduced you are open to stomach bugs when you travel to some countries.

My GP used to stop his PPI when travelling and rely  on Gaviscon. I tried it but by day four went back to Nexium.

• Posted

No, thank you for this. A very valid point. I was rather prone to "holiday tummy" before I developed GERD.

Do you know if it would be OK to substitute something like Zantac/ranitidine whilst away, or do they suppress the digestive system dealing with "local bugs" as well?

• Posted

I imagine they supress the digestive system as well.

Another doctor I once had said when I was going to Hong Kong, Eat at the stalls in the Nigt Market. I doesn't matter if you getthe s***s you can always take something for it:-) We did and we didn't.

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Like you I have to sleep on an incline. It helps with the reflux and sleep apnoea where I need to sleep on my side. I couldn't find any way of getting the gravity bed in the uk. Plus the smallest was a double and probably heavy. What I have done is baught a carp anglers bivvy bed. The adjustable legs enable you to set the required incline. It folds away for travel or storage. It's very comfortable. I find it easy to change position in the night unlike the difficulty of turning over on a soft mattress. It was the cheapest of the bivvy beds but best suited for setting up for reflux. Don't want to advertise so suggest visit good angling shop and see what they have. Private message if you want to know where I got mine. They are on the internet.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

That is an excellent idea. I found quite a few online, but will do as you suggest and seek out a good angling shop so I can look more closely at the bivvy beds.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Some feedback now I've been using my bivvy bed for a few nights. I baught a pack of memory foam, single came with cover. I can't wait to go to bed at night it so comfortable. I used to be up about three times in the night for the toilet. Since using the bivvy bed I only get up once and last night didn't get up in the night at all. I am impressed it's better than I hoped for.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up