Treatment advice wanted

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings,

I found out I have subclinical hyperthyroidism and was referred to an endocrinologist. After a scan of my thyroid I was informed the hyperthyroidism is caused by a benign “autonomous nodule” on the right side of my thyroid. They want me to take I-131 sodium iodide.

I do not have any symptoms and this came up in a blood test. I am a 47yr old male with no family history (that I am aware) of thyroid problems. My T4 and T3 are in the normal range. My TSH is obviously very low.

Looking for other treatment options/recommendations. Thank you!

Here are my blood tests results/dates..  

02/05/2016 results

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)- 0.05 uIU/mL

Free Thyroxine (T4)- 1.2 ng/dL

Triiodothyronine (T3)

12/09/2016 results

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)- 0.06 uIU/mL

Free Thyroxine (T4)- 1.0 ng/dL

Triiodothyronine (T3)

02/27/2017 results

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)- 0.04 uIU/mL

Free Thyroxine (T4)- 1.2 ng/dL

Triiodothyronine (T3)- 116 ng/dL

Standard Range

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)- 0.40 - 4.20 uIU/mL

Free Thyroxine (T4)- 0.8 - 1.7 ng/dL

Triiodothyronine (T3)- 50 - 170 ng/dL

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son take synthesis for under active thryoid. Hyperthyroid .

TSH is produced when the hypothalamus releases a substance called thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH). TRH then triggers the pituitary gland to release TSH. TSH causes the thyroid gland to make two hormones: triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). T3 and T4 help control your body's metabolism.

its important ant to take meds to keep your metabolism balanced. 

• Posted

Synthroid is the medication correct spelling for medication darn spell check. Sorry. 😳

• Posted

There are two types of iodine treatment, actually one of them is diagnostic.  This is the radioactive iodine uptake test to see how much and how fast this is taken up by your thyroid.   Then there is Radioactive Iodine treatment.  Personally I feel that is too severe for me.  You can try natural treatments and see how they work for you.  I will email you more information about this privately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.