Treatment for Depression and Anxiety with CBT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I'm Mark and am 29. Its been a while since I have posted anything on here and just looking for some advice or personal experinces from people have had with CBT. I have suffered with depression and anxiety for a number of years now and it has usually be controlled by take citalopram, I have been on and off the drug taking from 10-20mg. 

I recently came back early from a trip abroad due to my anxiety and depression getting me so down. I was worried anywhere I travelled and kept thinking i was going to lose things and sometimes didnt want to leave my room or meet people. I had so many negative thoughts and just couldnt enjpy my trip and decided to return home to seek help. I have increased my meds to 20mg and my doctor has suggested cbt.

I can see the suggestion of cbt as usually my depression/anxiety always fits the same pattern. I usually get stressed with something at work, then i start doubting myself and then get to the point i dont want to see people, feel worthless and find it hard to cope with just general life. I have decided to try another job as i think it could be worth looking for something less stressful.

I know it probably sounds stupid but I worry about my future if i have a family, get a mortgage and been able to cope with hard times. I just want to get back to been my happy self when i look forward to the future and know i can cope with what it brings and not constantly worry. 

Just wondered if other people have felt the same way any help or support would be greatly appreciated?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have found that doing a course of Mindfulness which is a form of cognitive behaviour therapy has been very good for me. I still need the anti depressants I am on ascI am facing a knee replacement and I think this would get me all worked up but the breathing centred being is definitely a great help.. Maggie

• Posted

Hi Maggie thanks for the advice found a really good site on mindfullness so going to give it a go over the next few days. I think when i get back into work ill feel better just hard as most of my jobs have been IT related so not got much experience in other areas but staying postivie something will come up. 
  • Posted

Hello Mark,

Sorry I have no experience of CBT but hear only good things about it so if you have the opportunity grab it. I fully support Maggie's suggestion of mindfulness, it is simple and easy to learn, and is very helpful. There is loads of instructions online for it. Give it a go please, I was very sceptical being an old cynic myself, but it really does help and will get you safely to your first CBT session

• Posted

Hi Deryl

I'm going to give both of them a try and maybe a change of job will be good for me. I find IT support to be quite stressfull sometimes i think as i want to help everyone and be a perfectionist which doesnt always help. Thanks for the adivce and will let you know how i get on. 

• Posted

Hi Mark I'm 48 and feel the same as you. My anxiety has always peaked at work and lately when I'm sat at a computer screen I have weird thoughts and images of an awful future. It's like I picture myself in an uncomfortable position and have the same consensus about money, relationships, health, holding down a job and getting old.someone at work could talk about taking exams and then I'd panic and think I should be taking them or someone having problems with their car and I'd feel panic even though I don't have a car. I've sheltered myself so much because of my anxiety that I now have moved back to my parents as I feel safer there. Wish I bought a house when I was 21 when they were cheap as chips and soon I'll be 50 and worry now about looking after elderly parents all my life. Very, very depressing. I'd get your anxiety sorted sooner than later as it doesn't get any easier as you age. Medication helps me through the days but I feel my anxiety has held me back so much in life. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Alan thanks for your response and openess. I know what you mean about anxiety at work. I find if theres something i cant fix or the customer isnt happy its easier to blame myself which then filters through to other parts of my life bringing me down and i need to be able to contain it. I just need to be able to stop it and assure myself i can cope ok with problems.  Like ive said in a previous reply I sometimes want everything to be perfect and i can be my own worse enemy, I need to remember am only human. I know what you mean about staring at a screen and just thinking to yourself is this it well i do, this is why am looking for a different kind of job just to see if I feel less stressed and hopfully more satisified. 

I've only just passed my driving test but I worry about driving myself and having my own car and then i try not think about the house situtation. Am back with my folks for the moment as will be easier for me to do the cbt whilst at home and probably will be working part time to fit around my sessions. I think sometimes i expect a lot more of life, Ive travelled a lot every year and has been a complete change and the idea of of not been able to do this kind of scares me. But i feel i need to start slowing down a bit and start thinking of my future and planning more for it.

I really hope the mindfullness and cbt can help me when times get hard and my thinking goes into over drive to help control it.   

• Posted

Hi Alan thanks for your response and openess. I know what you mean about anxiety at work. I find if theres something i cant fix or the customer isnt happy its easier to blame myself which then filters through to other parts of my life bringing me down and i need to be able to contain it. I just need to be able to stop it and assure myself i can cope ok with problems.  Like ive said in a previous reply I sometimes want everything to be perfect and i can be my own worse enemy, I need to remember am only human. I know what you mean about staring at a screen and just thinking to yourself is this it well i do, this is why am looking for a different kind of job just to see if I feel less stressed and hopfully more satisified. 

I've only just passed my driving test but I worry about driving myself and having my own car and then i try not think about the house situtation. Am back with my folks for the moment as will be easier for me to do the cbt whilst at home and probably will be working part time to fit around my sessions. I think sometimes i expect a lot more of life, Ive travelled a lot every year and has been a complete change and the idea of of not been able to do this kind of scares me. But i feel i need to start slowing down a bit and start thinking of my future and planning more for it.

I really hope the mindfullness and cbt can help me when times get hard and my thinking goes into over drive to help control it.   

• Posted

Hello Mark

Your CBT will depend on the CPN involved there are several different methods although generally it will be targeted at ways to suppress your concerns and control your worries. Coping skills will be introduced so as to make you be able to suppress your depression and anxiety. Today genralley the course of treatment is restricted to about six sessions, in the past a CPN was introduced and they were with us for a much longer period so you were able to form a loose relationship with the Nurse.

You need to understand if you know your problems it is easier to control then suppress them The old saying know yourself comes to mind.

• Posted

I think a lot of it stems from work but i have left that job and then went travelling my depression and anxiety hit me hard again. I just couldnt turn off the worrying and enjoy myself. It got to the point when i was at my last stop at a friends I didn't want to leave the house or get out of bed when i did i was so freightend seems so stupid as usually am really condifent and easy going person. I just felt so useless and thats why i ended up coming home as i didnt feel like i could properly function. I just dont want this keep to happening in my life and make me worry about things i want in my life and how i will cope with them.  

• Posted

When I was in my thirties my Employer, retired me on helth grounds and that lasted until retirement. The whole situation was one of the most frightening period of my life as there was three meetings or boards before I was put out to graze. I did feel after their findings and my retirement a feeling of relief and I began to write, when I had my brain.

I kept myself active in a Mental Health Day Centre and I found my life was more meaninful.

Anxiety is a wicked feeling that prevents us fulfill our life choices if we let it. However understand there are ways to defeat this rough feeling.

Talk to your GP, again to know your problem will help you understand it and defeat it. A CPN can give you coping skills. One of these skills is relaxation Techniques, If you do not wish to see the GP go to the library or on Amazonand get a book on the Technique of MINDFULNESS, or ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE that should help you calm down your fears.

There is also a further technique, put an elastic band around your wrist and when you feel anxious pluck it onto the wrist, you then know what has caused the anxiety and you can learn how to defeat it. Personally I have not tried it myself, it is an old method. Anything is worth a try.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.