Treatment resistant depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

anyone had any experience of this please

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

me. Had various different medications over 27 years. have now been offered CBT so will how that goes.

• Posted

hi Ann

yes. i have been battling the demon for over eighteen months. have run the gauntlet of a/d and other meds. i am so sorry if you or a loved one has this condition. it is debilitating, paralysing, crippling.

Anna

• Posted

do you have any idea why no response to the meds. dr here just says do you want to get better, well get out and do it. how cruel.

• Posted

hi Ann

i had one such mean, mean p.doc. hated her with a passion. she was mean and cruel and i'm sure she caused many suicides.

thankfully when i was discharged from hospital i could resume with my usual p.doc who, though baffled and vexed by my non response to treatment, is a real honey.

you don't need a nasty doctor. please find someone who is skilled as well as kind and compassionate.

anna

• Posted

Yes. Back on PROZAC. 60 mg per day and will probably have dosage increased at next visit. also on neurontin (low dosage) and serenace (low dosage) plus alprazolam and a betablocker to combat anxiety.

i hope you are doing ok?

• Posted

yes thats what i need. kind compassion. i am in uk and dont know how to find that

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered with this too. It must be 50 years since I was first given anti-depressants, and none have worked for me. My GP seems to think that CBT will help, although I've had that for short periods and so far, nada, it just hasn't worked for me.

So, either I have some other condition which is causing me to be depressed, or I have to wait for something new. My GP says I need long term CBT, but he doesn't seem to realize that in my area, it doesn't seem to be available long term. I am a hoarder too, which might contribute to my depression, and I am going to try to see if I can get private help, as, again, no help on the NHS seems to be available here for that either.

Maybe it is just trying to get help with my condition that is causing my depression, as it just seems that it is a case of "go away, we don't want to help you". When you've had that for 50 years, it's no wonder I am depressed.

• Posted

understand exactly what you mean. its just like being cast aside. at least a physical illness has an outcome, this is like living in hell. cbt did nothing for me i seemingly dont think right. wish there was a help group out there as one size does not fit all.

• Posted

Hi Ann, Don't blame yourself, I am going private with a lovely lady, who I met ages ago when she worked for Family Action. One lady she knew felt even worse, when CBT hadn't helped her, which was not her fault. She had different treatment, which did help her.

I noticed the post about Ketamine, and had previously seen online that NICE is looking into this here, so we just have to hope that will help. The problem is that the NHS seems to be like a blinkered horse, Prozac was seen as the "cure all" of it's time. Now it's CBT, but as you say we're all different.

Unfortunately the local Family Action had to close due to lost funding so the lovely lady now has her own business. She and I believe that my problems probably stem from my traumatic childhood, and if so, CBT will not help with that.

Perhaps, one day, we will have individually designed medication and treatment, taking into consideration our genetic makeup, blood types and life experiences, as well as conventional medicine for the more mundane problems. Hopefully, also, we might have more enlightened and free thinking doctors who are prepared to treat people as they should be treated, kindly with consideration and respect and believe us when we say we are not well and not give up on us when treatments haven't worked.

Sorry, I'll get off my bandwagon now!

• Posted

no please dont. you have found someone helpful. can you tell me where and if i can look in areas for the same. i agree with all you say. i need someone not to give up when thr meds didnt work and im finding that hard to find. maybe she can recommend

• Posted

Hi, Although I have previous experience with this lady, I have yet to have an appointment with her to see if she can help me, this will be early January. I live in Lowestoft, Suffolk. I, also, think it depends on why you are depressed.

I have a long history of having no control in my life, of unpleasant things happening to me as a child, which were out of my control, and of course, later, being a woman, where if I had been a man, I would have been listened to and respected, instead of just having had my valid opinions and knowledge ignored and trampled on. All that has contributed to my hoarding and with my current health problems, (I am 69), making it difficult to overcome it, and feeling swamped and discounted by family and my GP.

If you have a similar history, I can ask if she knows someone in your area, or can suggest how you could search for someone suitable. I know if you have PTSD , EMDR and EFT are 2 therapies which might be beneficial, but if your depression is due to different causes, this probably will not be the road for you.

I trust this lady, and she has even recently given a training session for MIND, which shows that she is respected.

• Posted

Hi Ann - trials with Ketamine, an animal tranquilizer, is being undertaken by the Black Dog Institute here in Australia. The drug has shown remarkable results for participants in the program. An injection is one system of delivery, and the effects can last months. Participants have described a complete absence of depression for long periods. The trials are now concerned with the long term effects of using Ketamine.

The startling antidepressant effects of Ketamine have been known for ten years.

• Posted

will this be available in uk do you think, is there anyone i can ask about it as it needs to be more widespread because sll these other drugs dont work for us all.

• Posted

Hi Ann - no it is not publicly available yet as it is in trial. This trial should end about 2020. However, trials are being conducted all over the world, and there may well be trials where you are. Research "Ketamine Trials" and your area to see. Hang in there.

• Posted

Ketamine is now available through a private scheme attached to the NHS in Oxford

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.