Treatment resistant depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

having tried so many anti depressants, the psychiatrist has i think given up with me. is there anyone else out there with this problem and how do you handle it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i gave up on the meds at the start of the year and was a t a loss of what i was going 2 do.

I do all the usual exercise everyday, fishoil, vit d, meditation, cold water.

But bought an alpha stim aid machine 3 weeks ago after wanting one for a bout 4 years. Never wanted to spend the money but hit a very bad wall and needed to try something new.

3 weeks in and no joke i feel like a different person. Hoping i have finally found what works for me. 1st time i have felt normal in about 5 years

They offer a rental service as well if needed and also a 60 day return if not working.

You should look them up and see what u think.

• Posted

this sounds very interesting to me. i have never heard of this machine before. dr has never mentioned it, nor psychiatrist. i have to be careful as on warfarin but i dont think it would affect that. did you try several anti depresants before giving up? Does it help depression and anxiety? I dont know how much longer i can go on with just diazepam. i assume you dont use this for pain?

There are many on the market and prices vary, how did you choose? Is it helping depression for you that well? when you say you hit a bad wall do you mean depression wise?

I would try anything but dont want to buy wrong machine so any help greatly appreciated.

i wonder if i asked psychiatrist if he would know what it was.

• Posted

I looked into the machine and it is very very expensive. Can not afford that unless I got a money back guarantee, and not for 30 days. More like 90 days. The machine is over a grand. That is way too much for me. One of the reasons I have gone so dark is because I live in constant terror about money, or the lack of. Didnt get a Masters, married a dead beat and had kids( that I have not recovered from financially} and no family money. An awful mix. I have tried everything to get out of the ditch, Nothing has worked.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I too have been suffering with major/clinical depression for 4 years. There have been months where it is nothing short of hell. My son who is 24 says I have become a different person, and says I am no longer a Mother. Its true, I cant give to anyone, including my children. I have tried 8 anti depressants. I have also consulted with ECT doctor and a TMS clinic. I will research this alpha stim aid machine. I also have never heard of it. I totally identify with you about the psychiatrist giving up, or rather being out of tricks to give me. How about the new spray that was recently approved? I am almost sure it will be too expensive and not covered by Medicaid which is what I am on. I also have tremendously adverse and difficult life situations that I am a prisoner of. I have no hope, and am not at all sure I will ever feel "normal".

• Posted

you are just like me, i have also recently investigated TMS clinic and when i asked about ECT psychiatrist shrugged it off. he isnt living with this illness! YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY IN USA! I AM IN UK, cant find any info on this alpha stim but if you can will you please let me know, you can pm me if you want. i look forward to hearing any news. i dont know anything about a spray.

• Posted

Something to think about,,,

I added on a stimulant, Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine) a year ago to help give me some pep - it did, but I think it also gave me some improvement in mood.

Years ago, stimulants were the drug of choice to treat depression.

Talk it over with you doctor - it might be "just what the doctor ordered"!

Hope you feel better!

Rudy

• Posted

Thanks Rudy. I take a small dose of Vyvanse with the Effexor. The combination worked for awhile, but my life needs a do over and at 61, I would need more support to just up and go to a different place. Though, I do believe that would help. Not sure of anything. Way too much uncertainty at this age. But thanks for reaching out.

• Posted

i cant see psychiatrist useing an amphetamine here in uk. hes tried lots of other things, nothing works. i am a hopeless case

• Posted

i think you need a break. did you ever get told that dark chocolate with more than 70% cocoa solids can REALLY help with depression? this is no joke. try maybe some mindfulness, yoga or pilates anything where you can really concenrrate on only you. so vital! see if it helps!

• Posted

i have been eatin dark chocolate every day. if i could make myself get out ofmhouse i could try yoga but cent. tried mindfulness apps, they cant reach my mind properly. i am somstuck only one way out

• Posted

if you are eating really dark chocolate, it puts good endorphins in to your body. i think if you get out to yoga even the once you will be surprised, you may enjoy it and it may give you the excuse you've needed to leave the house. i wish you luck!

• Posted

i am so scared to go out and can only do so with hubby so yoga is no use as i have interstitial cystitis which causes me pain. i can walk and go to shops with him but not other things and dr has tried so manh anti deps he wont ry anything else.

• Posted

i think you can get an app for your phone for yoga or a dvd that's what i tried at home 1st. would that not help? i

• Posted

I was in a bad way a year or more ago and I finally decided to do some exercise in the gym. Believe me, I was over weight and terrified of the idea of people looking at me and laughing in the gym. So I hired a personal trainer. You can tell them you have mental illness and they will cater for you. I didn't feel like I was being stared at and the exercise really helped. It can be expensive but you need to invest in your health. It also will make the meds you are on work better. Take my advice and buy ten sessions with a trainer. If you like go at a quiet time to the gym like 10am

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.