Tremor - how long to get better?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on carbimazole for around 8 weeks now and my levels of T4 are reducing. However, I have now lost a bit more weight despite a good appetite and my tremor is not going away. One of the things I do is paint portrait commissions and at the minute, I can't do the fine detail. I was cutting my son's hair yesterday and trying to be very steady around his ears but the scissors were shaking. My hands don't shake too badly when holding them out in front of me. They look pretty steady; it's just when I really need to use my fine motor skills. I'm now a bit worried that either the hyper is getting worse again, or something else is causing the tremor. Please help. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

my T3 levels are still toxic after 5 months.

ive had my dose of carbimazole increased to 40mg to stop the tremors and palpitations.

i feel a lot better, but my weight is creeping up.

try to find your comfort levels and dosage to suit while you get well

• Posted

Thanks. Glad to hear you are feeling lots better. Hope your weight stabilizes soon.
  • Posted

I've been on carbimazole since January. I had my dose changed (10-20mg) about 6 weeks ago as my bloods were worse rather then better. Went back 2 weeks ago and my t4 had dropped to 9 which is borderline hypo. My dose was dropped to 15mg. I've had a fine tremor the whole time. So maybe the levels needs to be stable for some time before this symptom goes? I don't know, but like you I hope mine goes soon. I find writing difficult and am always dropping things.
    • Posted

Oh no, that's not good news! I'm the same; so clumsy and always dropping things. I hope the tremor gets better. I feel it in my whole body whilst in bed and it sometimes keeps me awake.
  • Posted

Hi, when I was first diagnosed I had the tremors too. I was prescribed propranolol as well as carbrizamole. The propranolol was to reduce my hear rate and stop the tremors. I was only in it for a few weeks and it worked, I haven't shaken since!! See your gp!! Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thanks. Sadly I have a bad reaction to beta blockers and so can't take them. I agree they would have been the best thing if they agreed with me.
  • Posted

I agree with others that even a low dose of Propranolol will help.  What helped me get my disease under control and my levels normalized was the addition of supplements like Regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg a day, Vitamin D3 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day and Magnesium 200 mg a day.  Some people also take Selenium 200 mg a day or eat 2 brazil nuts a day instead of taking the Selenium.  There was a research paper published about the benefit of hyperthyroid patients taking the Regular L-Carnitine.
    • Posted

Thanks. How much should I take I do have some but not sure of the dosage.
  • Posted

I probably should have said I also have trouble with my heart from being overactive. It put me into atrial fibrillation which is a fast irregular heartbeat. I have to take anticoagulant, beta blocker (similar to propanolol) and an ACE inhibitor.
    • Posted

It really does mess us up, doesn't it? I have also been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.