Trimalleolar fx/ dislocation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last monday while playing in a co-ed volleyball game I landed on a another players foot with my left foot and sustained a trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle with a dislocation. I'm scheduled for surgery this upcoming Monday and am currently in a splint. Has anyone else had this injury and what can I expect?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sorry you have had a fracture and had to find this forum but believe me this forum is so great. I had the same fracture on my left ankle by falling off a chair whild getting off and had a surgery 2 days later. It's been 4 weeks today I had my surgery. Dint feel much pain on the surgery may be bcos of the anaesthesia but was on pain killers every 6 hours. Had a change of cast after 2 weeks and this will be on until 4 weeks when I have another doctors appointment.

No wieght bearing and leg elevated for min 6 weeks.

All I can advice is it's a slow process and need patience. Don't worry and we will get there eventually. Good luck and take a lot of rest.

• Posted

Hey sorry to hear about your ankle as well. How are you with your recovery so far? I'm definitely following your advice and doctors orders and keeping it elevated and even putting an ice pack on top of my splint every couple of hours. I have a pre op appt today to check the swelling so hopefully it went down. Thanks for the reply and hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm doing good I think as I stopped the pain killers and only take paracetamol when needed in the night that's only because I overdo and move around a lot doing cooking and other things at home. If not I feel ok. The knee scooter is of such a help. I have the 6 weeks appointment on 4th July and I hope they will put me on the boot so can put some weight.

You take lots of rest and keep your feet elevated all the time. I had a lot of swelling the second day after fall and the Dr said they can't operate until the swelling goes down and it may be 3 days for that and asked me to elevate and put ice pack etc. But they operated the same day evening. I am 100 percent sure it was bcos they were struggling for beds in the hospital and wanted me to get out quickly. They operated even though there was still a lot swelling and discharged me the next day!! Fortunately no complications so far!!

Good that your dr is waiting for the swelling to go down as they may be risk of infection if they do it on swelling. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible. Good luck with your operation. Hope you have a speedy recovery

• Posted

I had a trimalleolar fracture of my right ankle in late Oct.  No weight bearing for 8 weeks.  It has healed well and I have no problems now.  My advise...be patient and follow your doctor's orders.  Accept all the help from family and friends because you will need it.  Keep your leg elevated as much as you can.  Once you get a cast or boot on....a scooter will help.....well worth the investment....Good luck and be patient. It is a long journey.   

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply and glad to hear you made a full recovery. As far as the knee scooter I already have one because last year my girlfriend had surgery on her ankle to fix ligament and tendon damage. How did your injury happen? And did you have to wait for surgery or did you have it immediately? Thanks for the feedback.
    • Posted

I managed to miss the last step of deck.  It was dark and I fell.  I went to the hospital  they put a splint on and they admitted me and I had surgery the next morning.  I was glad I did not have to wait...It was difficult to in the house.  I had two steps to manage....I just scooted up on my bottom.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.