Trip to Doctors - new Meds....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Evening folks! Today I visited my GP and told him the full extent of my Health Aniexty, panics, etc.He was really understanding and enrolled me I am internet CBT course where you work online but a counsellor contacts you also regularly. 

Also he prescribed Propranolol for my aniexty and only yo take when it strikes. Has anyone ever used this and is it good. I'm a bit scarred to use them so advice welcome xx 

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I took propranolol when my anxiety was really bad earlier in the year. I'm not sure if it did anything but it helped me at the time. I can't seem to handle any other meds - I don't like the side effects 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya Daphk, im on propranolol 40mg twice a day and have been for around 8 months I found them really good with no side effects at all, they helped with the palpitations and calmed me down when I was really anxious, they dont seem to be quite as effective just now but I think thats because ive now been put on hrt and anti depressants, please give them a try I know meds that suit 1 person might not suit another but I found them really good, hope you try them and hope they work for you, take care chic smile xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Lesley, yes any things worth a try. I suffer more from the aniexty through thoughts about what is wrong with me, would be nice to delete these thoughts all the time! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's good because it targets the physical side of the anxiety but doesn't alter anything in your head if that makes sense....

Where as Diazipam and other drugs like that will also make you a bit dozy and calm the racing thoughts a little. I love Diazipam and that's the reason I don't take them because I know that they are very highly addictive and then that would leave me with a whole set of new issues to deal with.

I didn't much like propranolol because a lot of my anxiety was racing thoughts and they didn't help with that but I know of lots of people who are on them and think they are do the trick xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Gillian, yes I'm not a fan of diazipam they make me feel sick and drunk to be honest! 

I will try these but it's more something to delete the silly thoughts from my head eg if I have a sore head, I think I have a tumour! Then it leads to me panicking! 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Propranolol has started helping me with internal tremor and palpitations as soon as after the dosage's been increased to 3x40mg.It starts working I would say more or less in half an hour.Only to psychosomatic symptoms and should be taken regularly as prescribed. Smaller dose did nothing so depends on one's sensitivity to medication and how strong the symptoms are.I noticed at times it works well but in some  more stressfull days it seems like this dose is not enoughsad.However I would recommend it as first aid kit for or rather before usual times of panicssmile.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Shall definitely give it a go. Would prob have preferred something that would take these health worry thoughts from my head but any things worth a try. Thanks 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up