Trouble breathing

Posted , 6 users are following.

it's been a stressful year. Colleague and friend died another with cancer, increased work and stress, rubbish all round. But I am stoic, I get on with things. On Christmas eve I noticed I had trouble taking a deep breath, this got worse over the days and I had my first panic attack. Things got worse and I went to go who diagnosed anxiety. I have had bloods etc done and all fine. But I still have trouble breathing, closed throat sensation and chest pain intermittently. Is this normal with anxiety?

1 like, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely normal....I've been having the exact same things happen myself and my doctor keeps telling me it's anxiety and panic attacks. I've been trying lots of different things to try combat it but nothing 100% yet. I tried to looking into natural supplements first.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am taking maca powder and although it has only been a few days it has allowed me to come off the pills I was on. I am sorry you feel this way but it is reassuring to know this is "normal" and can be overcome!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would say yes.... I would also add to that any or all of the following (as per my experiences): tingling in lips etc, hot flushes, heart palpitations, nausea, stomach aches, headaches and hyperventilating.

(You will also be able to see a list of symptoms that you can get on the related information on this website for further guidance). 

Keep going to your dr though as they need to support you and help you recover from this.   

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you Angela for your words of comfort. The symptoms are so varied it's hard to identify yourself, especially if you don't feel any more keyed up than usual. (Bad sign) my doctor is great so I will be enlisting her support. Thank you again for taking the time to reply
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes this is normal it is scary you just need to keep your mind off it give yourself something to do each time you get symptoms
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is scary, every so often I convince myself that the doc is wrong and I am actually dying and I have to talk myself down from there. I am strangely at my best at work when I am too distracted to think about myself. At my worst when alone with my own thoughts. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes these are classic symptoms. 

It sounds to me that you are suffering  from anxiety, which is not surprising considering the kind of year you have had to endure.

Has your GP prescribed any medication for your condition?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, bisoprolol, but don't like these. Am experimenting with maca powder instead and even after a few days breathing has improved a bit but very aware of closed throat. Any anxiety sites are so general you think it can't possibly be describing what you're experiencing. I mean how can my throat muscles be contracting without me doing it? Mind you last time I saw dentist he told me I'd ground out a filling!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

thank you everyone for your very reassuring replies. I felt like I was going mad and dying at the same time. I am taking gelatinized maca powder and have dumped the bisoprolol I have been prescribed. I think the solution lies with me and not drugs. Sure if I need something to take the edge off ill take them. Trouble with me is I think this has been building for years and recent events tipped me over the edge. I don't feel like a nervous wreck, just a wreck........ I am determined to not let this get the better of me, I did chronic depression 20 years ago, I am not planning to go back there
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there, 

Sorry for the delayed reply... I haven't been on-line for a couple of days. 

It's none of my business, but please don't just stop your meds without consulting your doctor. This can make you feel worse rather than better, especially if you've been on them for some time. 

I have spent a number of years being put on & then coming off medication for anxiety and depression and it is always recommended that this should be done in stages - and with the help of your dr. 

Sorry - as I say, it's none of my business, but I'd hate you to feel even worse just as a result of not coming off your medication in the correct way. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't apologise Angela. I know it says consult  doc but to be honest my dose is very low, just 2.5 mg. however my symptoms are very strong. Last night for example I had to face work I had been putting off since December, the results I thought were going to land me in hospital. However I got through it which was great and when I faced some problems today I didn't react nearly as badly. If I didn't want opinions I wouldn't have posted here. Thank you for your reply. I REALLY appreciate it!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up