Troubles with Zoloft

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on Zoloft for 2 years. I went to visit doctor and he noticed I gained a lot of weight he thought it was from the Zoloft. He wanted to take me off of it. I agreed. I went from 25 mg to 12.5. And was put on Proponolol (beta blocker) and Buspar (only when needed). I weaned off. And went into withdrawal a week after being off of it. It was horrible. Went back to the doctor. He put me back on 12.5. I was on that a week. Now I'm back on the 25 mg and off of the Proponolol and Buspar.

I do not remember the side effects being this bad. I was missing work because my head feels a million lbs and found it hard to eat from the nausea. From not eating I guess my blood sugar was low I would not feel good and give myself panic. That was week 1. Now it's week 2. Mentally I feel the medicine working in the background but it's not 100% yet. I have increased anxiety. Constantly shaking my leg. Yesterday I was great. Today not so much. I was just in the nail salon and had to leave.

Any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have a look on this site for the recommended way to come off safely.

in brief it's 10% tapering method so you reduce by 10% each month from the previous dose.

dropping 50% in one go has sent your system into chaos and caused the withdrawal symptoms you have described.

i was on 50 mg for two years, I took my last tablet six weeks ago after following the 10% method, the tapering took six months but was well worth it to avoid any damage.

in terms of weight gain, I did put on about 10lbs and I have lost this amount since coming off.

once you have stabilised again (which you will) and are ready you could try again using the slow taper. 

I wish you luck, take care x

• Posted

I don't want to come back off. I didn't feel like myself off of Zoloft. The weight gain is the least of my worries honestly. I just want these side effects to go already. Week 2, Day 4. Do you know when I can expect them gone? I know i shouldn't rush my recovery but it's really effecting my everyday life. I see a therapist as well. I just wanted to add that in there
    • Posted

IT took about six weeks for the side effects to reduce when I first went on it.

but it's different for everyone x

• Posted

I am at 5 weeks now and I felt a panic attack coming on last night so I took a xanax. This panic felt like how I was before I went back on Zoloft. I upped my dose 12.5 so now im doing 37.5. My doctor suggested it.
  • Posted

oh gosh I have put on a lot of weight too, been on it for 7 months now, is there anyway to loose the waight with out coming off the sertraline ???
    • Posted

Unfortunately I have no advice rolleyes it seems it was all water weight. I came off of it and lost about 10 lbs. now I'm back on and I'm slowly gaining it all back.
    • Posted

Now that you have been on for 7 months do you feel a change? The start up side effects I spoke about do they go away? I took it before but I just don't remember it being this bad. I'm eager to stabilize and get my life back.
  • Posted

Just wanted to update anyone reading this forum. It's my start of week 3 and I am finally back to my old self. All of the side effects have subsided. Yes there is anxiety here and there but I have to say I feel the Zoloft taking control. I have some bad thoughts but I'm not acting on them.

If you're struggling with the first few weeks hang in there! Although You may feel you will never get better- I promise it will!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.