Trying again. Depression sucks.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've struggled for years since a failed hep c treatment in 2012 that the side effects caused. I've tried 28 diff ant depressants but never tolerated the side effects for long and having a bit of PTSD from the hep c treatment side effects I was afraid, admittedly...

So many situational stressors the past few years. My son in his 20s was bipolar and he n his new gf were less than smart and brought a baby into this world when they had no solid anything themselves. My wife n I ended up adopting our granddaughter whom we love immensely. But...my son overdosed in 2017 on fentanyl and he's gone. This seemed to be the tipping point for me. The depression got worse with the grieving. I finally came to the place where I knew I could not continue this way. All joy of life was gone and we have this young beautiful girl to raise who needs new whole. I started Prozac prescribed by my primary. Only 10 mg . I'm on week 4 today . Anxiety through the roof. Can't sleep. I wake up repeatedly through the night. I don't want to get out of bed during the day choosing to binge watch TV to get my mind off myself. I feel worse not better. I tried to get an appt with a psychiatrist but the 1st new patient for the best one I can determine from reviews is four months out. I hate the way I feel. I feel guilty not engaging as I should with the little one and she tries so hard to be with me. I feel useless as a husband and a father. What if Prozac doesn't work for me? Am I stuck in this loop if new meds for weeks on end to see if they work? Life is passing by...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am on week 22 of Flu. I started at 5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg and have now been on 20 mg. For 9 weeks. Progress has been slow and painful. I have had every side effect there is. I am better and hope to continue to improve. I also took it 20 years ago after an illness. And felt great after two weeks. This time has been completely different. This time has also been after a protracted illness.

Stay on this site to see what others are going through and their success stories. 

It helps to talk with someone.

Also I have found that a psych dr knows more about these meds than  gp. 

I read some where that 

“To get out, you have to go through. 

I hope the best for you. Stay positive. 

• Posted

Joesph so sorry to hear your trauma I have been in similar place i been on prozac for 8 weeks now the heightened anxiety was absolutely horrendous I mean hell but I'm managing to do more things as each day passes it's a very slow process I know I got a long way before I'm back to my normal self but I'm trying so hard to hang in there things starting to feel better as each week passes it does get better hang in there Hun x

• Posted

Jane, please continue to post and let me know your progress. I am on day 6 of week 9 on 20mg. 22 weeks in all. I still stay in bed most of the time although I did have my hair cut today, went to the drug store and then to the bank. After that it was back home and to the bed. I have also walked around the block the last 4 days. I would probably be better off if I had things I had to do and not be in the bed so much.

Please take care. I hope to come out of this a stronger and better person. 

• Posted

Hi Joseph, firstly I am so sorry to hear your story, you have been through so much, anyone would struggle in your shoes. Fluoxetine can work wonders for some people, for others like me the side effects were to great. I would suggest an appointment with your doctor to discuss your progress, if these drugs don’t work for you there are others. Best of luck, you deserve a break so hope you find your way through.
  • Posted

I am 22 weeks into fluoxetine feel v rough but I was starting to feel a bit better I think it comes in bouts of intensity I took it one before fora year and it took a long time to work about 11months I get awful headaches and aching limbs that make me feel v unhappy but I think the anxiety does this not the flux it is all part of the tricks of anxiety it pulls us in hoping the fluoxetine will eventually pull me through this so 22 weeks still ongoing
    • Posted

I'm in week 4 of going back on 20 mg dose so I know how you are feeling. I am pretty fed up with the anxiety and having to take klonopin just to be able to get some half assed sleep.

I know others are struggling  and some have reported success. I do truly believe in time it will get better for all of us, so let us all try to hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.