Trying not to freak

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got upset earlier with son's school and now I'm having numb tingling weak arms and chest pains off and on, I'm trying so hard not to freak out thinking it's heart related. Can anyone please respond does anxiety do this?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, anxiety can do exactly that. If you were upset earlier then it has had a knock on effect stress wise. If you ever saw anyone having a heart attack ( my father had one and a friend, right in front of me ) you'd be aware of the difference between the true thing and anxiety. Calm down. You'll be okay smile

• Posted

Thank you I'm still having chest pains off and on which wasn't there before I got upset

• Posted

HELEN thanks for that reply

Because we are always so worried it's heart attack which then just starts the vicious cycle of anxiety then panic

Sorry you had to see loved ones have heart attacks in front of you ??

• Posted

The problem with AD is the slightest twinge, a new pain, a sudden ache, anything that pops up and we ask ourselves hysterically, What's that? OH God! What's the matter with me now?

We are all guilty of it. It's the first hurdle to overcome with anxiety disorder. To accept that from the crown of our heads to the tips of our toes we can be struck with pains, twinges, funny feelings and a whole host of other attacks

In retrospect I can see clearly that had I, in actuality, been suffering from some of the illnesses my imgination conjured, I'd be long dead and gone.

Yet here I still am, lol. ..

• Posted

Yes. Absolutely. And dealing with the schools can be very aggravating and frustrating.
  • Posted

Yes I had the exact same thing came out of the blue

Was like a tightness in my upper left shoulder then a little pain just annoying down the outside of my left arm making my arm feel heavy

Did not last long

But because if that one episode I have horrible anxiety/panic

I'm sure you are having the same

It's horrible just breath thru it

However if it persists just go check with your dr

You could be hyperventilating which can cause the chest pain

• Posted

Anxiety does cause these symtoms, personally I do not feel it is a problem with your heart, although I would advise you talk to your GP and H will possibly arrange tests.

Talk to your GP if this is happening more than once to put your self at rest

You know where we are

BOB

• Posted

I have many times I just worry that ekg isn't a tool to check heart, maybe that's the anxiety but I still worry I have a heart condition causing all this

• Posted

The tingling,and numbness is a prelude to a panic attack. It's when your angst is at it's highest,and then we have an attack. You should call your doc, and see about a antidepressant,so you will feel better

• Posted

This is a problem I have with phychiatrist. They always go for weird meds,before they try something that we understand. Makes me mad. I have no faith in them. I just like my family doc,unless you have some complicated issues. Now this med is to treat seizures,neuropathic pain,shingles, hot flashes,ressless legs, ect. Aren't we talking about anxiety,and panic with you. Am I missing something. The med he gave you is NOT a antidepressant,which is what you need. Oh my,why are you not being treated by your family doc. I would not take that med,if this is suppose to be for anxiety,cause it won't work. 

• Posted

My family dr tried many on me I've been through alot of them either they don't work or they have very bad side effects I can't get past I'm very sensitive to meds. I'm not going to try the gabapentin I'm just to scared too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.