Trying to bend my knee after 7 days po for PKR, without tears

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Friends,

I have just reached my 1 week mark today with my PKR. I have gone to my PT three times since my surgery. Most of my muscle strength exercises are fine, but Bending my knees to 120 degree goal is TEARFULLY PAINFUL. Any suggestions? Thanks to all that respond. I am taking my pain medication as prescribed. But oH Bending my knee*wow.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow 120 degrees sounds pretty agressive for one week?!?! Most of us would be happy to get that after several weeks! How far can you bend it without tears?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susan. I'm 3 weeks post op 75° bend is fine but getting to 90 is almost impossible. Not sure why you are trying to get such a bend at such an early time in recovery. I would say take it more slowly. Good luck with the recovery .
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Take it a little slower, you are not in a race for the best bend.  Yes, you need to push as best you can, otherwise the scar will get sticky, but not so aggressive that you have take time out because of the pain. it's counter productive.  Keep on taking the meds as long as you need then and at regular intervals, even on the days you may not have pain as that will stop the peaks and troughs. 

Try sitting on a chair, with your good leg gently pushing back your bad leg until it is slightly uncomfortable and hold for a while, then push back a little more.  You can do this until you get bored or really can't stand the pain, it may seem like a longer route, but this way you can do it all day long without having to think about it.  Wherever there is a chair or something to sit on that will allow you to tuck your knee under. Otherwise you sound as you have everything under control.  Remember, there are more important things than getting the perfect degree of bend.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I found in the early stages post-op that the flexion number was not as important as progress was. Whatever the number is today, try to beat it next time, even if it's just one or two degrees.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Push it to The level where your knee goes from hurting to pain, then stop. Putting yourself into pain isn't the answer. It is a slow process and will only go at the speed the body allows. Be sure and take pain meds 30 minscto an hour before and ice immediately thereafter. Just remember what many say.....this is a marathon not a sprint. Patience is a real virtue.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sassy,

I totally understand the pain you are talking about.  I had my first PKR done in Sept. 2015 and my second done in Dec. 2015.  I don't think I reached the 120 for two or three weeks after.  The main thing is to just keep up the exercises and you will get there!!  My doc allowed me to use an exercise bike at my third week and that seemed to really increase my bend.  Whenever my knee got tight I used the exercise bike and that loosened it right up.  I totally suggest using the bike.

Good luck to you with your rehab.  It's a long road but I feel like I'm really close and it has all been worth it!  Hang in there!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the words of encouragement RethaT. My Physical therapist had me using the bike for the first time yesterday, which was exactly 6 days after my surgery. I wish I had a stationary bike at home.

Chat soon

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah, I think most people did things before I did in my rehab.  I had a very conservative Dr. who had me on a walker for 6 weeks!  He promised me that if I did what he said, I would have no issues.  Well, as hard as it was to stay using a walker that long, I have really had no issues.  I really think the stationery bike was the best thing I used though.  Anyone you know have one you could borrow for a few weeks????
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi RethaT,

Thanks for the response. My doctor is very AGGRESSIVE. I had my first Physical therapy in the hospital the day of surgery. Then I started my OP physical therapy 2 days after surgery, 3 x wkly. Just trying to keep up with everything especially on little sleep. I will keep pushing forward.

Chat soon

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up