Trying to calm down about check-up

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have my check-up this week about abnormal lab results for Vitamins B12 (too high) and D (too low).  I have been able to start taking a Vitamin D supplement again as recommended by my GI doctor (2,000 IU) - it's a different brand and is not causing trouble so far - had to stop before because of dry mouth.  Over the last couple of months, I've been eating a more balanced diet, as balanced as I can get it with Crohn's and peri, getting lots of exercise and more sleep, and have lost a little weight.  I am hopeful that things will be closer to normal this time, but as usual, health anxiety is making me think the absolute worst.  Really trying to believe that all these changes I've made will matter but still feeling so completely discouraged!  So tired of peri having this grip on my brain!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Do try to stay positive.

What has caused your B12 result to be too high?  

What symptoms did you get?

• Posted

A quick summary - I have Crohn's disease in addition to being in peri.  My GI doctor tested my Vitamin D last year, said it was too low, and told me to take 2,000 IU supplement daily.  After a few months, I had dry mouth.  I knew that could be a lot of things, so I went to my gyn to follow up instead, thinking maybe thyroid, diabetes, etc.  Well, those tests were normal - thyroid has come back normal twice, A1C was normal, etc.  She also checked B12 because I was having fatigue and she thought B12 would be low.  It was high, though.  I had been on a multivitamin containing B complex (and half the Vitamin D, 1,000 IU, that I was supplementing with another 1,000 IU to make the 2,000), so I stopped all of it.  But she rechecked the Vitamin D, too, and it was still low.  I have been gaining a lot of weight with the peri, eating a lot because of anxiety and depression.  I stopped all that.  By November, I was making dietary changes, bought an exercise bike, and started going to bed earlier.  Almost immediately, the fatigue problem went away with getting more sleep, the dry mouth went away with stopping the Vitamin D supplement specifically, and I've lost about 10 pounds.  Physically, I feel much better.  The gyn thought my supplements were causing the B12 to go up but was not sure.  Since I wanted to follow up with the GI about the Vitamin D, anyway, I sent him her report about the B12 and made an appointment.

• Posted

I am so grateful that you are sharing this information thank you. I am menopausal or post I am really not sure but I lost my period almost a year ago and immediately the anxiety started that is my big issue anxiety and thyroid. My thyroid went crazy causing the anxiety and took me a while find the correct doctor who understood and look for it. She put me basically just in vitamins beside my very low dosis of synthroid and betablocker or blood pressure med the minimum dosis to calm the situation the rest is B stress complex every morning, I added B12 on my on sometimes gummies but he still need to find the correct vitamins schedule If we can call it like that. Did you see a nutritionist or vitamins expert?
    • Posted

Hi Marcia, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot with sorting this out.  I did not consult anyone before deciding to take vitamins.  The only one that was prescribed officially was the Vitamin D.  Dealing with all this now, I would not take vitamins again without being advised to do so by a doctor.  I’m just taking the prescribed amount of D now and nothing else.  I am eating healthier foods and have cut out a huge amount of sweets and junk food.  Hope this helps!
  • Posted

I hear ya. The health anxiety is the worse. My physical is this Thursday and every time I'm worried they're going to find something awful.  I had my mammogram three weeks ago and it was fine, even though for about two months I had this weird feeling in my breasts. But as soon as I had the all clear the weird feeling went away.  But my hormones are all over the place. Today I'm depressed and just feel like my life is going nowhere. But, I just keep praying.  neutral  

• Posted

That's exactly how I feel.  I've always had a certain amount of health anxiety, but peri has taken it way over the edge.  I hope your physical goes well and am very glad that your mammogram was normal.  Praying helps me, too.  There are still these down days, though.  It's hard.

• Posted

Thank you. I hope it goes well too. It's tomorrow. It drives me crazy that I have to wait a week for results. I'm going to talk to her about possibly changing my antidepressant. But not to one of the new ones, the side effects were horrible when another doctor put me on one. I want something tried and true like Prozac.

• Posted

It sounds like you have a good plan for getting what you need.  I feel the same way about my anxiety.  Still not sure if a medication is the answer, but it may be.

The GI appointment went well today.  He got the lab reports on the B12 from the gyn and had already reviewed them.  He does believe the issue to be dietary and said I was getting more than I needed at the time.  Considering that I was taking a multivitamin and a separate B complex supplement while eating a lot of meat, fish, and fortified processed foods, I was really doing myself in!  I’m only taking the Vitamin D now, under his supervision, because my level is way too low.  I have to get that rechecked twice at 3-month intervals.  

Lesson learned:  eat a healthy diet and don’t take unnecessary supplements.

Good luck tomorrow!

• Posted

I agree that waiting for results is the hardest part!  🌸

• Posted

It is hard. I've been all over the place lately. One day I'm laughing and feeling good, the next I think I'm a dried up old prune going nowhere in life. I just continue to pray and I'm starting yoga twice a week and a weight class once a week in March.  Hang in there! "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTENS ME"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.