Trying to get back on an antidepressant...major stomach issues and anxiety. Any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was on lexapro for years....went off last Fall thinking all would be well. Last 6months or so it was obvious I needed to go back on something. Dr tried zoloft caused panic attacks....never had them, but now I feel in a constant state of panic. Zoloft caused major nausea too. Tried going back on lexapro...panic attacks and sick. Psychiatrist gave me liquid Prozac to ease up slowly, but at 10mg had major stomach burning, nausea. ER said I have gastritis. Would prozac cause that. Never had trouble with reflux/heartburn etc before.

Also have major anxiety.....I'm only taking 6mg of prozac now. Am scared to take the Ativan or Klonipin psychiatrist prescribed.

Any advice to get back on an antidepressant and get out of this funk. I'm not able to function because of sick stomach and anxiety.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The medical community is all jacked up! I am a nurse and a patient. I was on Prozac for 30 years. For months your brain will be trying To RESET to normal from discontinuing almost any antidepressant, especially if you were on it for the previous year or more. And, the side effects of a drug is the same as withdrawal symptoms (from that drug). No matter what drug. This is all based on my own experience. If you will track how you are feeling and compare that to side effects caused when taking that drug I think you may see what I mean. If you go back onto a similar drug (in your case and mine, antideppressants) your symptoms may subside. What you have to consider is how bad your brain could be affected in the long term. My body has been in RESET/WITHDRAWAL MODE for 5 months now. I have been to the hospital twice for symptoms of a heartattack, only to be told that my body was withdrawing and my brain trying to reset. In fact, just 5 weeks ago I was feeling suicidal because I was (and am) sick of being sick. They diagnosed me as Bi-Polar and put on Lithium. Within 3 weeks I was a walking dead zombie. Then I started withdrawing from that. If there is anyway at all that you cannot go back on an SSRI you and your brain will be better for it. I also have severe anxiety and feel a constant state of panic. The E.R. doctor told me last Friday that I could experience these feeling for a year or so. Stomach issues are huge with these drugs. My stomach and intestines have been permanently damaged. To me, knowing what I know now, the relief is not worth the long term damaging effects. Find a good support system. Get busy helping others if you can. That's the only thing that has helped me! Good Luck and God Bless.

• Posted

The medical community is all jacked up! I am a nurse and a patient. I was on Prozac for 30 years. For months your brain will be trying To RESET to normal from discontinuing almost any antidepressant, especially if you were on it for the previous year or more. And, the side effects of a drug is the same as withdrawal symptoms (from that drug). No matter what drug. This is all based on my own experience. If you will track how you are feeling and compare that to side effects caused when taking that drug I think you may see what I mean. If you go back onto a similar drug (in your case and mine, antideppressants) your symptoms may subside. What you have to consider is how bad your brain could be affected in the long term. My body has been in RESET/WITHDRAWAL MODE for 5 months now. I have been to the hospital twice for symptoms of a heartattack, only to be told that my body was withdrawing and my brain trying to reset. In fact, just 5 weeks ago I was feeling suicidal because I was (and am) sick of being sick. They diagnosed me as Bi-Polar and put on Lithium. Within 3 weeks I was a walking dead zombie. Then I started withdrawing from that. If there is anyway at all that you cannot go back on an SSRI you and your brain will be better for it. I also have severe anxiety and feel a constant state of panic. The E.R. doctor told me last Friday that I could experience these feeling for a year or so. Stomach issues are huge with these drugs. My stomach and intestines have been permanently damaged. To me, knowing what I know now, the relief is not worth the long term damaging effects. Find a good support system. Get busy helping others if you can. That's the only thing that has helped me! Good Luck and God Bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.