Trying to get back to normal...as normal as can be.

Posted , 8 users are following.

No pain, naproxen seems to be doing the trick. Only got to get constipation sorted....hate the cocodemols.frown

Well, hubby out all day at a model boating event. I promised faithfully not to leave my crutch behind when I walked  around the house or went upstairs.

I have been very good, took the crutch with me at all times.....not saying the crutch touched the floor  but I did take it.rolleyes

Made dinner, put chicken breasts in the slow cooker with diced pots, sliced celery, kidney and broad beans. Sorted my cauli/brocc/mushroom/pepper/toms and cheese ready for grilling, hubby doesn't like those vegs so its all mine. Will last a couple of days and can always freeze portions as well.  I am T2 diabetic so have to watch my carbs...eek

Spent most of the day browsing, pinterest and FB as well as all my groups, sent emails so I am improving as sitting at the computer desk is now easy and comfortable. smile

Slowly, slowly does it after all only 5 weeks post op on this knee replacement.

Not done finger pricking tests for a few days, medication been up and down and the hospital only checked it twice in 5 days..... day of admittance and leaving! Told me not to worry. So I won't.  Too many other things to get uptight about and I was averaging 6.5 for my bloods before op,  get tested next week for everything, so fingers crossed.   Although the last month has messed up the blood tests because they take in the last 12 weeks...might have to have a word with the diabetic nurse to let me have an extention.

1 like, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi hazel hark at you lol your hubby will be leaving you more often when he comes home to that lovely meal. Wanted to ask about the naproxen???What is it and was it ur GP that ssuggested it??? I too am 5 weeks post op and am REALLY struggling with pain just takin those horrid co-codomol!!! In fact ive had a right teary day ??? I am at GP.s on Mon hoping they can help. Also not sleeping cos I wake every 3 hours with the pain???
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

As Sharon has just said its anti imflamatory and its taken away all the swelling and heat from my knee...I an now bend it easier.

I was also given water tabs for a week, and then have to have a blood test for kidneys... in case the water tabs have damaged them.  Doc didn't really want to give me them but saw how bad both my legs were. Got to eat a banana every day to replace the potasium.

#

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I actually don't have any pain, only sometimes discomfort.  But like you I waker every 2 1/2 - 3 hours each night.  Don't nap during the day.

But getting bored out of my mind, can only read so much, watch TV so much..........I have a hobby of dolls house miniatures and am trying to get back into it.  Got so many projects to start and finish...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Andrea, my doctor gave me a slow release tramadol for the night time, they have worked really well and I am getting a minimum of 5 hours sleep and that is more to do with discomfort rather than pain.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Naproxen is an anti imflamatory tablet I was on it pre op and have just started taking it again 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was on ibruprohen 1 tab 3 times a day...doc changed this to naproxen 1 tab morning and evening.  You need to ask your doc for a stronger pain killer or ant iinflamatory.  Sleeping is the same for me but can now sleep on my sides instead of on me back.  Cushion between knees helps here as well.

Teary days are part of the healing process...happens to us all.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hazel have you tried glycerin suppositories for your constipation? I used them in combination with the lactulose and it worked a treat; I was literally in agony for four weeks before I used them.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No, been browsing home made remedies on the internet...there are quite a lot and might try  1 teaspoon baking powder in 1/4 cup warm water....    or tablespoon olive oil with lemon juice.... have both in the house.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey hazel I opted for the walker vs crutches in the beginning. I'm 7wks post op now on a cane I can do a great deal more than I use to. Don't take pain killers anymore I weaned myself off of them but I do have more left if needed. Enjoyed your post😏 sometimes it's hard to remember what was normal lol
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hubby arrived home and asked if I was OK...I was actually upstairs at the time along with crutch...which I had just picked up as parked it near the bannister rail....waved the crutch at him and he laughed..  decided to have an early night, showered, tabs to take then I am trying for sleep...will hav emy rolleyes kindle with me just in case.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Must admit constipation was my main bugbear after the pain of the op and lack of sleep but upped the dose of lactulose ate grapes and chocolate ! Did the trick after a week and just carried on with the lactulose until I stopped taking codeine. Now just on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Sleep is a wonderful thing now as can manage at least 4 - 5h before waking up to either get up for a pee or turn over and rearrange the pillows.

Husband still in spare room (bliss have the whole bed)

Still taking things easy but exercising every day with stretches bends and walking

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Snap about hubby in in spare bedroom......can't eat choc..eggs or cheese as they also add to constipation...and if I had all 3 in the same day...as well as cocodemol.....  oh heck..trouble.  How far on are you post op?

I want to try and do stretch bends but physio not told me to yet...should I wait? I am looking at the chart the hospital gave me.

Just sat down normally at the computer without letting my right leg stay straight until sitting...  another hurdle over.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am approaching week 10 and seeing the consultant on Monday to see how I am doing. Must admit avoided eggs and cheese for same problem but would walk over hot coals for chocolate !!

Go with what the experts advise re exercise as we are all different - I can't sit at a table for very long as I get uncomfortable so waiting to tick that box.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh peg ive been out for tea tonight cos it was my daughters b.day but what a farse lol I cant sit comfy but thought id cope!!! Nope lol the staff in the restaurant ended up bringing me a bucket with a cushion on so I could raise my leg it was sooo embarrassing but how good were they lol. Gonna leave it a few more weeks before I try thst one again lol
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh dear I feel your pain and discomfort - I have only been out a couple of times, bad enough at home!

I still use a stick so when sitting at the table I shove stick under leg and balance my leg as straight as I can for as long as I can (long enough for the main course) then have a wander and a fidgit lol

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up