Trying to reduce my sex drive, is upping my dosage likely to help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new here. I know this is a bit of an unusual question, but I'm trying to reduce my limbo as it's a cause of my depression (in my opinion).

When I first started Citalopram, I was on 10mg, I lost all interest in sex for a few weeks, it felt great. But it came back after that, upping to 20mg made no difference.

I'm not wondering if asking my doctor to up me to 30mg or 40mg is likely to help me get rid of it for good. I know a high SSRI dose is a much safer option than antiandrogens, especially considering I have anxiety and depression. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well it certainly worked for me. My mismatch with partner caused me  distress and taking citalopram definitely took it away for me on 10 then 20 mg 
  • Posted

I think it varies from person to person, and there would be no way to know unless you try it.

​I was on 40 mg, and, for me personally, it did not decrease my sex drive. But I have read many reviews where it has for other people.

​Are you also having symptoms of anxiety and depression, or does the 20 mg work for that?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I also have anxiety and the Citalopram has helped, but not hugely. That's why I also wonder if an increase will do "more good". smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.