TSH increased after Synthroid dose increase

Posted , 4 users are following.

When I was diagnosed with a high TSH level, it was 15.10 mIU/L (TSH W/REFLEX TO FT4). I went for a recheck and it came to be 14.36.

My doctor then kept me on a 25 mcg dose of Synthroid for 90 days. After 90 days when I went for blood test, it came down to 9.27.

The doctor then put me on a 50 mcg dose for another 90 days. To our surprise, the TSH level increased to 9.33 even after Synthroid dose increase. My diet has been pretty much the same in this 90 days as it was in the previous 90 days. I have been taking the medication the same way when I was on 25 mcg. The only one thing that I can think of (in this duration) is that I started using a new salt that didn't have iodine in it. I only realized it today when I got the test results.

So my question is - how can my TSH level increase even after increase in the Synthroid dose? My body reacted well to the 25 mcg dose and the TSH came down to (approx) 9 from (approx) 15. Could the use of non-iodized salt caused this? Please let me know your thoughts. 

PS: It's my wife who is the subject here. She is 29 years old and overall healthy if we don't include this hypothyroidism issue.

Thank you very much!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The replacement thyroid medication shuts off your own thyroid function, so maybe it is not the thyroid, but something that affects healthy function of your thyroid. I am not well versed enough to go farther, but my opinion is if your thyroid was not working then the addition of the replacement would do the trick. There are a couple of people on this thread who can explain the thyroid from beginning to end and I dare say better than most doctors. I am sure they will respond.
  • Posted

Hi

That is only a very very slight increase, nothing to worry about. Your TSH level fluctuates on a daily basis, even in a person that does not have a thyroid medical condition. 

When I read this, I thought you were going to say it had increased from 9 to something like 15. 

Your TSH determines what amount of T4 is made. And that will be different on a day to day or weekly basis depending on various things from diet, illnesses or stress. Even things like lack of sleep or exercise. 

I’d monitor the front number more. But obviously if it carries on increasing then something needs to be addressed.

And yes your TSH can increase with an increase of meds’ if there are other issues going on with your other thyroid numbers - T4, T3 , RT3 and animtibidies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.