TSH level

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Been diagonsed with tsh level of 5.54 and low T3 & T4.

Not autoimmune been tested for all re tyriod thats the only issue. They provided me with tablets which I do not want to start taking.

So is this a huge issue? andwhat could have caused my tsh levels to become out of the ''normal'' range?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you have underactive thyroid you need to take the levothyroxine as your body is not making enough thyroid hormones. I have taken levothyroxine since 2002.

Did they explain about thyroid is it in your family.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply. No noone in my family has an issue - so it's quite strange!

• Posted

I agree with Michele. Take the tablets. What symptoms are you having that caused you to get tested in the first place?
    • Posted

Hello Dave

Yes if you have underactive thyroid need to take tablets.

I have high levels of thyroid antibodies, just had a second re blood test for this.

Have taken levothyroxine since 2002, after the birth of my last child.

I had various symptons in 2002, but thought just after birth might be to do with tired worn out and older mother, being third child.

I started to put on weight

Hair fell out a bit

Voice became very deep

Leg and arm muscles would stiffen up if not used and then free up when used

Really tired etc etc

How are you Dave?

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your message. I am usally very cold, tired plus have quite a few stomach issues - in regards to what I can and can't eat.

• Posted

Was it your TOO antibodies that were high? If so what were they?

• Posted

Hi Lucy, this is a huge issue. You can't do nothing. Your thyroid gland controls the metabolic functions for youe entire body. So it's really important that you take some sort of action. First decide whether you want traditional or alternative treatment.

A few things..  all thyroid disease is autoimmune. So if you want to treat holistically, you must treat the whole body for autoimmune disease. Virtually all autoimmune disease is cause by exposure to foreign substances, whether microbial, chemical or other toxin. This exposure weakens the body and in the confusion you get autoimmune disease. Thyroid seems to be particularly delicate, as it is a tiny organ that controls the body's metabolism. 

There are are many posts on this site by people who have found alternatives to thyroid medications, since all have side effects, and there is no bioidentical thyroid medication. 

People have possted a variety of lifestyles changes changes including glutenfree paleo diet, detoxing, as well as amino acid therapy and other supplements. There is also a non proscription thyroid medication called ThyroGold that doesn't have as many side effects.

It is traditional belief that with thyroid disease, you must take the meds and you must take the, for life. This belief has recently been debunked, with the recent onset of global thyroid disease at epidemic levels. You are not alone. And people are finding great alternatives and ways to heal.

My experience was that none of the meds worked right (tried several over a 5 year timespan) and I eventually found a diet and supplement regimen that is giving me positive results. Whether the meds helped in the transition, is not sure because the NDT meds were helpful initially. But since none of the meds are bioidentical, they're basically worsening the autoimmune disease, that is the source of the problem. My thyroid disease is severe, so it is possible to go without meds, but it's a ton of work. I should also say that the meds were so horrible for me that I virtually have had no life while on them, and I was so bad, that I figured I had nothing to lose going off them. Now, off the meds with alternatives, I'm feeling much better. It's a ton of work. A ton of work.

• Posted

Hello Catherine

What meds were you on, was it levothyroxine and what strength?

Do you have a goitre?

What did the meds do to you?

• Posted

Hi Michael, I have a very large cyst. The highest dose I was on was near 200 mcg of levo. However, there is hope. It takes a lot of patience, work and discipline to heal.

I started with Armour. This worked for s while, but the dosing was always wonky. I had a problem because they changed the formula, and switched to Naturethroid. This worked for a while until the dosing was wonky.  Got a new doc when I moved who insisted the levo was better. Tried the Synthroid, couldn't move and had migraines so bad, I feared I'd have a stroke. Massive bloating, arena, and weight gain. Went to Levoxyl. Had a problem with that. I was so anxious, I couldn't function. Tried compounded levo, couldn't get the dosing right, didn't work at any dose. Meanwhile, hair loss, can't do a thing, female cycle all messed up, massive weight gain, exhausted all the time? Could never get the dosing right. It was hard to tell what was what. Brittle bone. Broke my foot in several places and was on bedrest for months. Switched to NP. This had additives that triggered immune system. Then tried WP. Still had problems. The NP and WP were better, but felt like they were cut with levo. Went to bovine OTC glandular and detoxed the levo. This was better and less side effects. They changed the formulation on the glandular and I was fed up so I started amino acid therapy. This was rough but it worked and I finally feel more like myself each day. 

I have severe thyroid disease. The meds didn't work for me at any dose and I kept gaining weight and my thyroid autoimmune disease worsened. I figured, I have no life and am horribly, I'll, I took a chance and tried something different. My background is in molecular biology, immunology and chemistry, so when I came up with the amino acid therapy, I knew it would work. Took a chance and dumped the meds, and trusted my gut. It isn't pep effect, but my hair is growing back and I feel better thank have in years. Maybe I'll actually get my life back once I heal from all the meds.

all the while, I've done gluten free pLeo diet and acupuncture for support. Oh,  and I was able to reduce the cyst dramatically using natural means. I still have it and it swells up periodically, but after 20 years, it's like a old friend/ enemy I've learned to live with. I. Feel it will eventually go away completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.