Tummy bug brought back anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted on here last week about having a bug and not feeling well . I have had this tummy bug for over a week now . I thought I was on the mend and then it came back again . The thing is this has bought back my anxiety . I keep thinking what if I don't get better or is there something more serious wrong with me ? It just seems to be dragging on , but maybe when you are still in the early stages of taking cit this is the norm . I don't know . I have been on 10 mg for 6 weeks . Should I see my doctor or can it take a while to pick up when you've got a bug ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated . I think everything goes into overdrive with anxiety . I just want to feel well again . Thank you Jane X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Good Morning Jane,

You will find that there are various things whether physical, personnel, environmental, yer job, people in general, the weather etc, can all knock you back, but try and take each little knock back as a lesson and with our help you'll gradually learn how to deal with them - even if you don't feel like it.

I had a serious bout of man flu a few weeks after starting on Cita which lasted three whole weeks and I didn't move unless I had to (I couldn't! really). This my GP, Fiancee and I decided, a while after, was most probably my body saying HELLO! It's my time to crash now! Cita was working on the brain and the bosy was just as worn down.

Anyway, if you've had a tummy bug for over a week, then I do think you need to see your GP, if you're worried about passing the bug on, get yer GP to give you a call back and discuss. Out of hours Doctors Service are okay, but there's nothing like yer own GP (if yer happy with she/he of course). Regular contact with yer GP, whether you feel like it or not or don't feel you need to, is important so she/he are kept informed of everything even if you just want to say yer feeling better. That will happen one day, trust me!

I went through some health paranoia last year so, I saw me GP (who knows a lot about sticking plasters for the brain) and she advised it was probably the Cita, but as I was quite anxious she ran me through loads of tests even an ECG! Fortunately, everything was okay! However, later in the year I was ill, but that was totally unrelated! As if I didn't have enough on me plate!

We keep saying here that not everyone will experience the same things or intensity of them and you have to give the meds time. Because it is all true. Cita is not a quick fix. The other thing is we have all been there or are still going through it and we all get a little knock back at times. Each time it all feels totally cr*p try and remember you will come out the other side, even if its for short time, but you will have cleared another hurdle (the fact that there could be more hurdles ahead is not to worry about, just concentrate from one to the next and it will slowly get easier.

Some mornings I managed to get out of bed and felt sort of okay, but by the time I was downstairs I began to crash again, felt really yuk! This is where the importance of an emergency duvet downstairs cannot be stressed enough, they do come in handy at times.

Also remember Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it, weird eh! I found out that here (even though I believe my GP did warn me) and in fact I am still learning although I have come out the other side and have levelled out somewhat. I accept I may still have the odd bad hour, day who knows, maybe more, but I am used to that after 14 months (well 6 months at first, but like I mentioned I had a non related medical issue which knocked me back a bit). If I feel I am getting a little anxious (which does happen, rarely though, these days I remove myself from that which caused it, if I don't know what caused it breathing exercises do help.

Go talk to yer GP, you are on 10mg you may need uping, but then you may not, just go have a chat! Don't forget us though!

Keep readin, keep posting (no matter what) and keep learning, you are not alone and you will get better and what a better person you'll be! We don't talk about being normal or wanting to be the old self we look forward!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

One more thing, Cita does not cause grammatical or spelling problems that is purely down to me not checking the post properly before posting! Lol!

Try and have a good day!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Very wise words David sometimes it just helps for someone to say it as it is, thanks for the post X

Angie

• Posted

People were and still are here for me when needed, just trying to give a little back ( also cut through the misunderstandings, stigma and general cr*p!). We're one big (at a distance) happy family after all! x
  • Posted

I suppose 6 weeks is still quite early on plus I have also had a heavy period as well which probably doesn't help . I suppose while you are still low bugs / flu can take a bit longer to recover from . Until I had my anxiety I suppose I wouldn't have thought too much about being poorly and just be patient until I recovered . It's just bad timing that I've got this now . My sister has been poorly for over a week as well with similar symptoms but she had a cough , so I guess it's doing the rounds . Thank you for the advice David . Take care Jane X
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

Anxiety will always make you doubt yourself, do go to the doctors though.

Anxiety magnifies everything and alters your judgement. But a simple visit to your GP and that may be all you need! X

• Posted

hey jane, Yep you hit the nail on the head when we are suffering from anxiety its very difficult to rationlise our thinking, I have had a few bad nights sleeping probaly work stress and then bam yesterday anxiety first the feeling of inbalancement not feeling all that with it and major hyper sensitivity and then went to bed and went into panic attacks which was bloody bad timing as then I couldnt sleep...... However 6 weeks on citalopram is not long enough in my opinion to really get full benefits slow that mind down and stay focused that you'll be ok. Iam at work now and I know that I will improve but I have to make that happen not just the meds. take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.