Tummy grinding or knotting feeling

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've noticed whenever I worry or get anxious about things my stomach (upper stomach slightly left under ribs) has an uncomfortable grinding feeling. Does anyone else get this?

Due to my health anxiety I am getting worried about these feelings. I feel like they are linked to stress because they tend to come on when I am worried.

I have had bloods and ultrasound and spoken to doc about it and he just said it was due to stress.

I just wondered if anyone else gets these grinding upper tummy feelings at all? It's not like butterfly's it's like a tightness or a pulling sensation and sometimes like a twinge feeling...

Trying not to get worked up about it!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Its stress and nerves i get them nothing to worry about and what did you have ultrasound for
    • Posted

Thanks Tammy. Yeah i think it's nerves but had anxiety most my life and over the last year or so I guess I have started to notice this gnawing feeling when I'm anxious.

I had ultrasound in October because I was also getting nausea and being off my food the doc didn't really think I needed one but he could see how worried I was what with my anxiety. The nausea seems to have disappeared now just left with this on off discomfort which seems to happen when I'm under pressure.

• Posted

Hi kerry, i get that pulling pressure feeling all the time at top of stomach area, and when somebody gets me worked up it goes 10 times worse, although I've had stents in my heart 3 years ago for blockages I've been back for 2 angiograms since then and been given the all clear, doctor has put this down to anxiety but i keep thinking it is my heart but he said stop worrying about your heart, it's ok, i just can't seem to get rid of this feeling, sometimes i feel fine then all of a sudden it's there again

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean Paul, not able to believe that it is just stress causing it is difficult I have to keep persuading myself to believe what the doc says!
  • Posted

Hi Kerry I suffer with anxiety and the first thing that plays up is my stomach. It can take weeks for it to settle down again. Hope this helps you xx
    • Posted

Thanks Karen I am trying to believe that's all it is but sometimes it's a struggle. It's a really weird feeling not quite pain just like someone is squeezing my stomach from the inside. Not like nerves feeling either just weird!

• Posted

You're spot on there Karen, I'm in agony all day and night when mine starts playing up through anxiety

• Posted

I always feel as through I want to rip my stomach out sometimes. It's a awful feeling darl x

• Posted

Nightmare Paul. Sometime mine can take up to 2 weeks to clear up again x
  • Posted

When suffering from Stress our tummies churn, this can eventually cause acid to burn the linings of our tummy, the more you Worry, Panic or suffer Anxiety the more you churn. Generally everything will be ok

Relax stop getting upset

BOB

• Posted

Went to the gastro doctor today because my stomach feels like it's constantly banging and fluttering. No pain but very annoying. I always think it's my heart and when I told the doctor that he said why in the world would u think it was your heart when u feel it in your stomach? He's right, but I have anxiety and I always think something is wrong with my heart. I mean if my big toe hurt I would probably think it was my heart! Anyway he gave me a drug called librarx. It stops the spasms and also relaxes me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.