Turned 40 and diagnosed with dd and diverticulitis any advice on keeping flare ups away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I feel this disease has completely aged me and I don't seem to know what causes my constant flare ups ( I don't go more than two weeks) once I get a flare up it is so intense I can't turn over in bed or get off the sofa etc, I don't feel the consultant really advised me on anything other than fybrogel so any tips advice on diet etc and keeping flare ups at bay greatly received! I don't know of anyone else to have this at my age is this uncommon at my age?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jo, you have found the place for help,  if only in the diet dept Go to DIVI

DINERS forum. a bunch of knowledge on there might help. plus you have  found friends

By the way you are but a baby. Come to the forum and meet everybody

Jacqueline 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline where do I find the divi diners forum? Thank you 
    • Posted

Just type in DIVI DINERS where it says forums at the top of the page,

or press forums and scroll down until you find  DIVI DINERS press, and there we are

Jacqueline

• Posted

thank you Alan ,I dont know if that will work for me ,as I have two left feet

when it comes to computers, but I will give it a go, just keep your eye on my attempts, and promise not to tut or laugh.

Yours ,wearing LLLLLLLLLLLLLL plates

Jacqueline

• Posted

Morning Alan,  I assume that as a Moderator, your prime interest is conversation content,but I have a question,which you could answer. Are there any medical staff on this huge site that are available to answer the odd question? It's very nice and reassuring that there are people/patients who join in the  Diners forum, but there are areas that need explaining,that go a tad beyond food..

Jacqueline

P.S I'm just going to attempt your transfer advise Dongles crossed 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueiline,

We don't have a specific "Ask the doctor" type service but I try and guide users to our articles in patient.info itself where relevant or I will answer things I know with my limited medical knowledge as an ex lab tech in microbiology. What you can do if you think an article on patient doesn't answer your questions is use the feedback link at the bottom of the article to suggest additions.

For example if you think https://patient.info/health/diverticula-including-diverticulosis-diverticular-disease-and-diverticulitis could have more info or have suggestions there is a "Provide feedback" link at the bottom. There are also links from the patient leaflets to the doctor orientated articles (PatientPlus) that go a bit more depth into the condition. 

Alternatively you can post a question in the forums and use the "Report" link ticking the "Feedback for moderator" option to draw it to my attention and I can forward to the authoring team.

Regards,

Alan 

• Posted

Thank you Alan ,I think. All your info will take some digesting,I will have to RED STAR you to keep  me on track, or , falling off it. 

Dangerous stuff this, asking  questions

Jacqueline

P.S What does Emis mean?

• Posted

Jo.  Don't we all know!  You can undertand the confusing advice when my Consultant has forbidded the use of Fybogel!   I have to take pain relief (Co-Codamol) for another problem and, interestingly, it helps a lot during flare-ups. Because it can have a tendency to make one constipated people shy away from taking them.  It's good for me because stools are properly formed and loose, sore bummed evacuations are rare.
  • Posted

Darn it, I have just started to take fybogel, Dr said I could have it on repeat prescription as well, but having just  read down all Jo/Jacqueline blogs I can see life as a newly diagnosed divi sufferer is going to be confusing as well as painful. I'm in the middle of a flare up just now, and have just read that I should go low fibre diet just now, and revert to high fibre when better. ? Is that so?  Very happy to have found this forum. Thanks everyone for your advice etc.
    • Posted

Welcome Jelly. now there s a conflicting piece of advice  you can't ,or shouldn't  chop and change between high and then low, it's got to be low all the time Check the DIVI DINERS forum  for food advice we are  a helpful group of sufferers.  

Jacqueline

• Posted

I'm new to this forum and the internet. Sorry to hear of your plight Jo. You are not alone. I'm a slightly dotty 66yr old and have had dd or related des eases since my mid 40's. Like you I've never really felt that I have had proper help. Yes like you I feel exhausted by it. Yesterday I 'went 14 times'. Very tiring !!!. I do find that coffe even decaf which I have does make me worse. It's a deuretic anyway. Today I'm only having fluids and clear soup to give my bowel a rest. I know now we are not alone as I have been reading  so many nice things from people on this page. ( secretly before I came on properly) People who haven't got dd don't 
    • Posted

hello sea horse ( love them ) welcome to the club, it will probably make you feel happier knowing that you have found  a really nice bunch of 

fellow divi's . Sound as though you need to go back to base camp and make a few noises to get some real help. Who drinks de caff did you know that they (the coffee makers ) use a shed load of stuff to make it de caff ?

Jacqueline

• Posted

Don't understand. Let's hope we can both get some comfort and helpful advice from this forum.
  • Posted

Empathies, jo.

But the flare-ups are surely understood?  They must equate to te time it takes for food matter to go septic n th pockets, surely?  Your Fybogel medication is just a bulkng agent.  It is just as likely to fill the pockets as regular food matter does!  I'm amazed that anyone offers such non-stimulant treatments for DD.  I've been prescribed the stimulant laxative Bisacodyl for the last number of years.  I have never suffered from Diverticulitis - only Diverticular Disease!  I use ta 10 mg dose at night every 4 - to - 8 days (depending on when I must be mobilehe next day).  Taking the med at 10 pm means everything is sorted by lunchtime - usually!  Then I'm good for typically 4 days before 'throughput' is greatly reduced (or zero).  I do get occasional UTIs- which might b due to the DD obstructing urine flow, but I've never knowingly had Diverticulitis!  Ask your consultant to consider Dulcolax.

Good luck.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up