TURP and bladder complications

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Five days ago, I had TURP surgery for an enlarged prostate (BPH). As background, I'm a 58-year old male who had been taking medecine (Flomax) for about two years for BPH. Then one day, the medecine stopped working and I had a severe case of urinary retention. My urologist sent me to the Emergency Department for a catheter, proscribed more medecine and scheduled me for the TURP. 

I had the catheter removed four separate times in hopes that I could void, each time unsuccessfully voiding. Two weeks prior to the TURP, I met with the urologist and insisted he remove the catheter. Reluctantly, he agreed and I was able to finally urinate. So now following the surgery, I don't seem to be able to urinate. It's frustrating! The doctor said that my bladder had probably expanded so much because of the urinary retention and does not place the pressure it needs to urinate.

He's ordered me back to the Emergency Department for yet another catheter and said we'll leave it in place for two weeks then switch to a self-catheterization procedure. I assume the idea is to train my bladder again.

But, I could use the advice of anyone and everyone who's gone through this. I'm very frustrated because my urologist, despite being gentle, doesn't seem to explain or do his job fully.

I'm doing everything I can think of right now to urinate before I go back to the Emergency Department. I don't want to go! 

Anyone have any advice, suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you!

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your distress. I detest the catheter. You would benefit from another opinion - in my opinion. I've found a lot of variation in knowledge and experience among uros. Is your GP in the loop? Or do you have "Rate My M.D." at your disposal. Your discomfort and lack of info need attention. Good luck.

• Posted

I am sorry that you are going through this.  I don't want to sound insensitive but why did you have to have a turp did you get any other test done to make sure it was your prostate not your bladder  It seams like he didn't give you time to look at other options.  Here you have a surgery and it don't work and you will have to have a catheter and maybe have to do CIC for the rest of your life.  The doctor told you that your bladder expanded and that may be true but it could have been your bladder all the while not your prostate.  Now you have to deal with alot of other problem and not being able to pee.  Yes it seams like he did not do his job or explain any of the other problems.  Before any sugery you should have other test to make sure what the problem is.  I got this from my urologist years ago and I always will remember this before he did my urolift.  A urologist it trained to figure out the problem and do as many test he can but if he can't find a problem they assume it's the prostate and start cutting it out but it do late if it is not the prostate.   After its done if that does not fix the problem they fix the other problem and if you have another problem it goes on and on.  Take care and I hope you get better.  If he will not help you get another doctor that will.  I don't think he did right by you  Ken 

• Posted

PS  I forget to say if you need help with CIC  JIM is a great guy and he will give you all the information you need for CIC.  He said no to a turp and was able to fix his bladder with CIC..Take it easy  Ken
    • Posted

Ken....please continue to pour salt into the wounds of the effected.  It helps immensely.
    • Posted

Trustme.  I'm not pouring salt into wounds but that urologist was suppose to help him  He didn't now he has to deal with the out come.  He did not give him a choice.  I hope for Stedavi sake that he gets better.  I hope you have a great day  

• Posted

I just have a hard time seeing how your comments help anybody.  I guess I'm the only one though so maybe it's me.

• Posted

Its not you. I've told him that he's just clutterring up the forum with jibberish but he's obsessessed with repeating the same non-information over and over again.

• Posted

He's probably trying to help, but I agree stevdavi was looking for some advice or suggestions on how to move forward not "why didn't you do such and such?"

• Posted

If you dont want to read it then just dont read it. Nobody force you to read what everybody writes on the forum.

• Posted

I don't know anything about TURP, but I've had the foley and gone through what you did removing it and having to rush back to put it back in - I advise you get them to teach you how to self cath next time you have it removed - a nurse will do it and then you will see the Urologist a few days later probably. Then you won't be stressed about returning to the emergency ward - also start taking Flomax again a few days before you remove the catheter - since you had a procedure the Flomax might help even though it was ineffective before. 5 days is nothing, you are probably still swollen inside, you could try taking Aleve when you remove the catheter next time. At 58 don't worry, you will be able to urinate again, it can take months for bladder to get back to normal though. Look for threads of jimjames on CIC self cath. The main thing is not to stress too much, you WILL get better, and if they teach you how to self cath trust me you will have that worry off your mind. It's much easier than walking around with a foley cath!

• Posted

Had the 3 way Foley put in twice. Lucky I was out. Removal wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thing is a garden hose.

• Posted

Ugh don't remind me, yeh removal is not as bad as entry, though one time I hardly even felt it going in.

• Posted

First time I was ever cathed was urodynamics test. Scoped me after that. That wasn't real bad. Next time was those Foley's. Was sent to my room. Wife stayed for a few hours then left. I slept and woke up that night. Worked nights my whole life so I am up all night. I looked under the blanket at that thing and said WOW. Lol.

• Posted

I think the worst thing about the Foley is looking at it, going to the bathroom at night and changing to the nightbag, I felt like a freak. I found it quite depressing, but after a few weeks kind of got used to it. The thought of having it back in again for any reason makes me queazy, but at least I know I can handle it.
    • Posted

I only had it in the first time for 2 days and my bladder had to relearn how to work. If you been on it longer, I can see how your having issues. And my bladder wasn't stretched.

• Posted

I had one when I was bleeding.  He put in after surgery a 26FR 3 way for a 24 hour flush.   It hurt when it came out.  What a relief  Ken
    • Posted

I timed my pain meds so they would be kicked in when it was time to pull it. Doc told me they would be pulling it at 6 am. Give me time to pee before he came in at 7 or 7:30 . Lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.