TURP - Blood in Semen

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my TURP on March 8th this year and it went well.

Last night I noticed blood in my semen, quite a lot and not possible to miss it. It looked bright red. It is the first time I have seen this.

I feel fine and no discomfort.

I'm guessing it is just some falling away of scar tissue or scabs from the operation.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Best get it checked out by doctor asap as shouldn't get sudden blood in juice 4 months after surgery. 

• Posted

I have an appointment in August. It isn't an emergency. I rather doubt that they'd do much anyway

• Posted

Grant, better to be safe than sorry. Any unexpected blood should be investigated immediately, before further complications arise. August is a month away, I urge you to get it checked now.

Peter.

• Posted

I think what he might do is a PSA test.  He would probably have suggested you have one done 2 months after the turp, about May 8th, to get a new post-TURP baseline.  He will want to check that it hasn't gone up.  If not, I expect he'll say it's scar/scabs, as you suggest.  I can't think what else he could do, except put a cystoscope in there, which you probably don't want ..

• Posted

TURP usually takes a lot longer to FULLY recover. It might be an infection which usually goes away within 3 days either with or without anti-biotics. A simple call to your doctor should give you the answer.
  • Posted

Are you sure it was in the seman.  95% of turp you have retro.  It should be nothing but have it checked  Ken
  • Posted

I made an appointment with the Urologist although this is in August. I might make an appointment with the GP. If he does anything he'll probably want to test a sample for bacteria. Doctors are getting more careful now about just handing out antibiotics.

I personally think it is part of a scab-berg just sliding off into the sea(men). Ahmen.

If I need to provide a sample the nurse there should be able to give me a hand.

• Posted

Grant  That is the best thing to do have it checked.  But your lucky you have seman after a turp.  Only 5% do  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

I saw the GP today. He said in the absence of other symptoms, it was almost certainly nothing to worry about. He said in my case it would almost certainly be related to the TURP. He said generally a damaged blood vessel can be a transient cause of this. He had seen quite of few cases of blood in the semen for which there was no apparent cause and it went away. He thought the Urologist might whack a scope up the old feller to have a look but it was probably nothing.
  • Posted

Not sure my reply is waiting to be moderated but the more you have sex the quicker the blood disappears. I have had 3 Turps.
    • Posted

Can you tell me why would you have to have that done to you 3 time????Ken
    • Posted

Over about 10 year period peeing keeps getting more difficult and probably I have a prostate that keeps growing over urethra.
    • Posted

You would think that 1 would be enough being the turp is the gold stander of procedure.  Glad all is ok  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks Ken am 75 now so probably in 10 years won't worry about peeling much. Probably have a catheter in.

• Posted

I think that being your so good now in ten year you will be even better.  God Bless  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.