TURP Experience with Pelvic Floor Myalgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My TURP experience and why I made the decision.

Background: 71 years old. Had BPH with ALL the peeing issues for roughly 30 years. Numerous visits to bathroom all night long Flomax and Proscar seemed to help. Wore depends when going out to dinner with friends. A nuisance all of it, but just figured it is what it is and "went with the flow" pun intended.

Several months ago went to ER for acute upper back spasm. Happened to mention some recent mild on and off pains in abdomen. Very mild, no big deal. Ultra sound showed over a litre of urine in bladder (urinary retention). And very large stone in bladder. Had no idea. No major symptoms other than normal BPH I had gotten used to. Left ER with muscle relaxer meds and a Foley Catheter. I did NOT like the catheter (had it for 6 weeks prior to TURP) trying to sleep with night bag, changing to day time leg bag, changing back to night bag, showering, de-sanitizing bags, etc. Referred to Urologist by ER doctor who recommended surgery for bladder stone and while he was "in there" doing TURP. I researched TURP and was concerned about possible complications and side effects but felt comfortable in how Urologist explained the procedure and risks. And still considered the gold standard. And quite frankly i was getting tired of disrupted sleep getting up to pee 3 or 4 times during the night so I agreed. It was a good decision for me. Now 7 weeks post surgery. No longer getting up during the night except a couple times now and then.

My biggest concerns were possibly still needing a catheter rest of my life however Urologist said that mainly happens when bladders get stretched out with 2 or 3 litres and "flop over". No longer working. Also concerned about incontinence however doc said less than 10% chance. Already had RE from Flomax so that was not a concern. ED not typically an issue with TURP.

My only issue is still having perineum pain (7 weeks out) when sitting. Walking helps but weirdly, lying down makes worse. Worsens by nigh time. Can't stand (back issues), can't sit, can't lie on couch. Makes for difficult day. Mainly look forward to going to bed. Can still get to sleep with pain and it mostly goes away mid-way through the night but starts up again when sitting in recliner in morning. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm guessing it will eventually go away. We all heal differently. Follow up with Urologist in 4 weeks may shed some light.

I know there is a lot of concern on this forum about TURP however as someone else pointed out, those with no issues (vast majority) probably don't even know about this forum or post their "good" experiences. For me, other than the perineum discomfort (which is how I stumbled onto this forum) taking way longer than expected to go away, I wish i had done this a long time ago. No longer thinking "where can i find a bathroom" whenever i run errands is a great relief.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good news and a positive story from you...

I had turp about 20 months ago and can sleep through the night now..I think have some baldder damage but I am thankful for small mercies..I am 66 and I was holding around up to 2 litres or more 10 weeks before surgery .

I started to self cath 10 weeks before and for 8 weeks afterwards but now pee naturally and I am relieved in more ways than one...that pun intended also . 😃 It scared me going through all of it and I do feel for anyone having to have a catheter full time .

I now can pee fairly good especially if I wait and fill up (maybe 450 mls) then when I do go the pressure gives a good stream and virtually empties it out...

God luck to you Larry !!

• Posted

I am 23 months post-TURP and also happy I had it done. I generally get up once a night vs 2 or 3 before the surgery. I had no side-effects (other than RE which I already had due to medication) and resumed all normal activity after 3 weeks per my urologist's recommendation. Best thing is that I no longer panic if I need to go and there's no bathroom available. I know I can hold it and pee normally when I do find a bathroom.

• Edited

" Best thing is that I no longer panic if I need to go and there's no bathroom available. I know I can hold it and pee normally when I do find a bathroom ."

That is true for me now also but for a slightly different reason I think (?) , in that I used to worry about further damaging my bladder , post operation , but I believe I was being overly cautious about things & realise the bladder still needs retraining after sometimes years , coping with being over full / stretched and that is different to being over full occasionally , which gives it a work out and can stop us going too often...

• Posted

Thanks so much for you post... I was on this board a lot 2 years ago when I was trying to decide whether to have a UroLift or not... Went through with it. I was very detailed in my running commentary. Now, in my mind, long term, it was not very helpful. The one thing it did do, is keep me from getting locked up, to this day, I have not needed a catheter. However, flow is way down again, and the urge to go comes on in seconds... so rather than redoing the UroLift, Doc is now recommending TURP, and after a long phone call with him today, I have some warm fuzzies. I have decided to do it, and after reading your post, I am more comfortable yet... Sooo, I will quit reading TURP comments now, otherwise I might change my mind!! LOL...

• Posted

Doc is now recommending TURP, and after a long phone call with him today, I have some warm fuzzies. I have decided to do it, and after reading your post, I am more comfortable yet... Sooo, I will quit reading TURP comments now, otherwise I might change my mind!! LOL...

There was a definite anti-TURP bias on this board a couple years ago. And most of the negative comments came from people who had not had one! In the last 2 years, there have been several posters besides me that have had good TURP experiences. A good friend of mine just had one (from the same urologist that did mine) and he is very happy. I too was finally convinced after asking a lot of questions of my urologist. My only regret is that I waited as long as I did. I hope your outcome is as good as mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.