Turp procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had turp procedure 6/28/16.  As of 8/25/16, I am still waking up to urinate 3-4 times during the night.  Has anybody had the same experience and if so, how long did it take to stop getting up during the night.  I am also taking rapaflo 8mg. in the afternoon.  Can that be causing me to wake up during the night?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about TURP but generally speaking if you've been getting up during the night for years the bladder gets used to it, and it takes time till it settles down, I don't know how long and the bladder may have lost elasticity. Your Urologist should tell you. Rapaflo is supposed to help isn't it? You can experiment and stop it for a couple of days and see what happens since you had a TURP theoretically there is less reason to take it. Again ask Urologist.

• Posted

thank you mike t think i will try to stop taking Rapaflo for a couple of days

I will call doctor to see what he thinks, but iam sure the nurse will call with answer lol

• Posted

It can take a while to heal the prostate.  Everyone on this blog should spread the word that any urologist suggesting a TURP as a first procedure is just trying to line their pockets.  Rezume has proven to be far better but its new and most uro's either don't know about it or are slow to change for financial reasons.  PAE seems to have  great promise for guys with large prostates and is far less invasive done by an intervention radiologist. Puts more strain on urologists who financially need to do procedures. TURP is a last resort guys.  Urologist are generally medieval and don't give a damn about their patients sex lives.  I've had one tell me at 65 you're about done with sex anyway.  This should tell you everything you need to know.

• Posted

I had TURP #1 in early March and #2 in early May of 2016  I am up 2-3 times per night, and usually have to change my Depends pullup at one of the wakeups.    I also leak a LOT through the day, requring  multiple (3-4) daytime changes.   If you have bladder control during the day, be grateful and be patient, as you will be healing for several months to come.   I'm not certain, but I would assume that the irritation from the TURP procedure still healing contributes to your waking at night.

• Posted

Hello

I think it is normal. I had prostate problem since May. Now we in the end AV August. My prostate now I think much better but all the symptom return for 3 or 4 days and then again I still in medicin. I contact my doc today he said it take long long time. Maybe sex to one year

• Posted

thank you moudar hope all goes well for you also i will be seeing my doc in three weeks take care
  • Posted

My Turp was on May 24th... I still get up frequently.  In my case it's not related to my prostate as my bladder now fully empties.  As explained to me by my Primary Care Physician, it's how your body gets rid of water.  In addition to that the capicity of my bladder has shrunk to 150cc.  Average capacity is 350 to 550cc.

• Posted

I had my turp early Jan this year. After the first month when the bleeding had stopped I was getting up every 2 to 3 hours so depending when I went to bed, 4 or 5 times per night. This slowly improved to 2-3 times and now after nearly 7 months since operation to once or twice per night. Prior to the operation I was getting up practically every hour so I feel that my bladder is now adapting to a different routine and has more or less settled down I can remember that years ago, long before I had any problem, I would quite often get up at about 3am for a pee so I consider myself now back to normai. Hope it works out like that for you.
  • Posted

I had a turp done on July 12, 2016.  So far, although the uro, made a nice wide opening, I am not able to urinate on my own.  I went to see him yesterday, and we did a trial void.  No luck.  He sent me home with catheters, and so now I have to self cath, till who knows when.  It's not that bad.  In fact, I kind of like having my bladder completely empty!  It feels great, not to have to stress about where the next restroom is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.