TURP recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was taking Tamsulosin for an enlarged prostate for roughly 30 months. My GP then put me on Finesteride which I took for only  5 weeks. After completing a Parkrun (5K Saturday morning) I drank a litre of water to rehydrate plus other drinks  but did not pee all day. By Monday I was in severe pain through urinary retention and was sent to A&E by my GP where I had a catheter fitted (instant relief).

?The Consultant discussed the options with me and I decided to go for a TURP. This meant keeping the catheter for 9 weeks until the op. At least this meant that I slept right through the night  for the first time in a couple of years.

?As a keen runner I took advice and continued to run  (much slower, obviously) with my club and jog the Parkrun. Good fitting lycra shorts held everything in place without too much discomfort.

?The op was done at 5p.m. and I was kept in overnight. The catheter was taken out at 7a.m. the next morning and I was sent home in the afternoon. During the first week it was fairly painful to  pee, the colour going from a red Bordeaux to a light Rose. Drinking lots of water helped to clear the stream eventually.

?At the end of week 2 I passed some bits of tissue in my urine but the pain gradually lessened. Now after 4 weeks I can feel the benefit and have regained control over my bladder which is great after a couple of years just making it to the toilet.

?I know that not all ops go to plan and feel lucky that so far it seems to be healing well. To anyone considering the op make sure that you discuss everything with your Doctor, there are different options out there and I suppose the skill is picking the right one for you depending on your situation.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good to hear from another runner! I had a TURP last April with a good recovery and no complications and side effects. I started running again about 3 months post op and it took me 5 or 6 weeks to get fit again. Pre-op I had a catheter for 3 months so was out of action for 6 months in total. I can't quite get back to my pre-op form (sub 25 minutes for 5km) but at 70 I don't expect to be too quick. I can't pee 2 metres up the wall like I could as a boy but the flow is reasonable and I void around a litre a day (24 hours) or rather more. I am taking Dalfaz-Uno, which is an alpha blocker, to help with the flow. I never want to go back on a catheter again - it was total misery. Glad you are back in action - it was a double agony not being able to run, cycle, or even walk fast while I was catheterised. I wish you well.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know a rather criticised procedure can work!
  • Posted

Picking the right procedure is the key but you have to check out the side effect of each and if you can handle them. The doctoor just wants to see you pee but he does not know if the procedure will work until its done but after the prostate is cut away it to late to turn back.  Please do not let you systems. Pick your procedure look at all of them. Read and ask question. And if your worried about sex or retro do your research. Doctors always downplay them. And tell you all will be ok. Also there are some men that habe no change but there are them that say there orgasm is a Third of what they were and not worth the time. Please think before you do anything. Ken
  • Posted

It usually takes months for Finasteride to effectively "shrink" the prostate.  Six months in my case.  In the mean time, I continued taking flomax in conjunction.  But glad to hear your TURP was a success.

• Posted

On some men it takess longer. On flomax in the hospital but will get off it as soon as i can.   Hate retro. Ken
  • Posted

I was treated for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia/Hypertrophy (BPH) since 1990.  From 2006 to 2015 I was prescribed alpha blocker drugs Flomaxtra (Tamsulosin) then Prazosin.  When the benefit of blockers decreased I was prescribed Combination drug Duodart, Flomaxtra & Dutasteride (similar 5ARI Drug toFinesteride) + Prazosin March 2013 to March 2014.  There was no research into post radical surgery affect of these drugs. Duodart’s Australian supplier has reported 5 suspect adverse Prostate Cancer events to the government’s surveillance body (TGA) yet no Cancer warning appears in the “side effects” on the drug’s Consumer Medicine Information (CMI). I was diagnosed 3+4=7 PCa and RP in November 2015. Recovery was hard and long. A hospital botched bladder neck blockage led to damage to upper-sphincter through repeated catheter forcing. This causing months of self-catheterisation and years of ongoing incontinence.

Prostates are hard. Most men will suffer symptoms and treatment is often erroneously perpetrated. Always take your time and do the research. Check the forums, internet and people you know. Men with your grading, their treatment and outcomes. Many are not happy with the advice they were given or the side effects and consequences they were not told of. I made wrong choices along the way and this exacerbates natural anxiety and depression outcomes. Pharmaceutical companies are legally bound to report suspect serious adverse events attributed to their drugs to the government surveillance authority. The authority is not bound to inform us though. If you research any government authorities and find effects you are not prepared to accept write and learn their source. The supplier reporting serious adversities in their billion dollar drug would have meant a lot to me if I had been allowed to know.

Barrie Heslop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.