TURP recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a TURP operation 3 weeks ago. My flow rate has improved considerably. There is still a small amount of blood passed at the start of urinating. Just after the operation my bladder capacity and interval between toilet visits was good but in the last week I have developed an extreme urgency to pee when the bladder only has a low content. Can anyone tell me whether this is OK or should I contact my consultant.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, I had a HoLEp and suffered urgency from week 3 to 6 and even though I had done my pelvic floor exercises I only had about  10 secs to get to a loo. Then at the start of week 6 it started to rescind and it had stopped by the end of week 6 as I suppose the prostate had healed further.

Good luck and keep up the pelvic floor exercises, but, in truth they only help control the sympton whilst the  continued healing was the main reason it came under control.

• Posted

Hi Mike, apologise, I didnt read your question well. My urgency was on a full bladder so yes a bit different to you. better have a word with doc but hopefully just part of healing.
    • Posted

Thanks for all replies. I will give this a bit more time and if it persists or worsens I'll consult doc.

• Posted

Just to conclude the story. The urgency in my case was due to an infection. I realised that because it was rapidly getting worse. I took some trimethoprim and the problem disappeared within 24 hours. That was about a week ago and now everything seems fine.
    • Posted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for kindly updating us  and i'm glad you are sorted and good luck.

• Posted

You should always consult your doctor on medical issues, especially after surgery.  He/she is undoubtedly a more reliable source than a bunch of strangers on the internet with no medical training! cheesygrin
  • Posted

I am in a similar boat to you. I had the Rezum done 11 days ago. Frequency, which was the reason originally for having the procedure, went through the roof soon after having the Cath out 5 days in. There are some anti-spaz bladder meds out there the doc might suggest for you. At least, it has eased mine some making life somewhat tolerable along this slow healing path.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.