TURP Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all,

I had the TURP operation and the removal of bladder stones on the 22.01.2019. I am 53 years of age and based in the North East of England. I have suffered from urine difficulties for some time. The results are pretty amazing, the flow is incredible! !

The procedure is quick and painless. The recovery is fine and I was home after 2 days. I just want to dismiss the fears which other men may have undertaking this operation.

Currently taking it easy and drinking plenty of fluids - water and green tea. Feeling loads better, one warning though, the urine push can be quick and unexpected but this will improve in time - so I am told.

Please do not worry. The TURP operation will transform your daily life.

More than happy to respond to posts if I can. It's early days but I feel great so far.

Andrew

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrew, Glad you had a successful button turp. I wish i would have had mine at your age, I had my button in april of 2018 at 79 years of age. my remarks were as yours. Home same day no pain minimal discomfort with urination. I was in heaven. Then in october I started Seeing blood in my urine. no pain no discomfort. Pieces of coagulated blood as well. still no pain no interruption in the great new flow. This continued for about 3 days. the surgery was in florida but i was now in new york. i called the surgeon and his assistants told me it was normal. after the 3 days in october it stopped till the end of november at which time i had another bout of bleeding. i called the dr again and made an appointment for december when i would be in florida again. I december i was ordered to take a kidney cat scan and an endoscopy. on the follow up visit i was told by the dr that the kidneys are fine and the endoscopy only showed the the prostate was very vascular and that it would stop eventually. well this past week the dr took a blood test and i have a follow up next week. i find it very unusual to be bleeding so often and calling it normal. When i questioned my ny dr he would not comment on another dr. I am reaching out to you to please tell your dr about what i am going through to see if in fact the prostate should be bleeding after 6 months of my button turp. Now in January , 9 months later there has been blood and clots for almost 6 days in a row. I really would appreciate and help you can give me. thanks an Itie from New York

• Posted

hi Joseph

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort. My only suggestion is for you is to visit your local hospital or doctor. They will be able to support and clarify your condition.

In my case, I am getting traces of blood in my urine and experiencing bladder cramps - this is perfectly normal and should subside in a few weeks.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Best wishes

Andrew

• Posted

Joseph, I would persist with the dr if this continues. Also, I would try taking large doses of vitamin c. I understand that deficiency can significantly impair wound healing.

• Posted

thanks but there is no discomfort only blood. i am seeing him tomorrow and let you know what he says.

• Posted

as far as recovery it was very fast less than 2 weeks and other than good things recovery was complete and perfect. no more prostatitis or bladder infections and urinating like when i was a young man, maybe even better.

• Posted

Joseph, I just want to let you know that there was nothing untoward in my reply which the moderator deleted. I was giving you a link to a study entitled "Ascorbic acid deficiency impairs wound healing in surgical patients" by A Bikker, J Wielders, R van Loo and M Loubert. You can find it on Google if you are interested. I don't know why it was deleted.

• Posted

Andrew, I'm pleased the op' went well. I had a TURP last summer and my experience was exactly the same as yours. It has transformed my life positively. I know two other people who have had the same experience. Its nice to get some good reports to balance the overwhelmingly bad press that TURP gets on this site.

• Posted

hi mike,

pleased to hear that the TURP worked for you too. It was the only option in my case.

I am very happy with the result to date. I am judging my recovery on a daily basis and monitoring the overall symptoms. I would say that rest and drinking plenty of water is the best way to recover quicker. How long did it take for you to make a full recovery?

Best wishes

Andrew

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

In my case there was some blood at the start of urinating which cleared up after about four weeks. I don't think I had any real problem after that but I just took it easy until I was reasonably sure I wasn't going to cause the bleeding to start again. I think I was more or less back to normal after about eight weeks but I was advised not to ride a bike until about twelve weeks. I did have a minor set back after about two weeks when I got an infection but that cleared up immediately when I took some trimethoprim.

• Posted

hi mike

thanks for the response, I am passing blood in urine but I expect that to subside based on your experience. still feel a lot better in spite of this. How long did you wait until you had alcohol?

I would imagine at least 8 weeks before I will be having a pint.

Best wishes

Andrew

• Posted

Andrew,

I don't drink much alcohol these days but I can't see why it would be a problem once the spasms or urgency settles down. I think the only thing to avoid is any strain that might make the healing surface bleed again.

Cheers,

Mike

• Posted

hi mike

I have noticed today that my urine flow has slowed quite a bit. Did you experience this after 10 days of the TURP operation? Is the settling down phase you were referring to?

Thanks

Andrew

• Posted

Thank you for posting your experiences. After getting the opinions of 5 urologists, they all said I needed to have a TURP for my condition.

My surgery will be in 9 days. The responses in this thread have helped to ease my mind.

• Posted

hi bb

I am sure that the urologists have explained to you the processes and symptoms after the surgery. You have nothing to worry about. In a couple of weeks time, your life will be transformed.

Good luck.

Andrew

• Posted

Hi,

I had my TURP Monday 11th Feb 2019 10am (posting this Saturday 16th Feb) at the Lister Hospital, Stevenage, UK and was discharged Wed 13th Feb 5pm. So far all is well. I'm still a bit tender and swollen "downstairs" but otherwise OK. Time will tell. I'll be followed up four weeks after the op and may post again around that time.

• Posted

congratulations and good luck. I am 79 had my button turp 10 months ago . was home the same day. no pain no side effects no need for pain killers no burning. A great experience and urinated with a great flow. next day catheter was removed and still a great painless experience. As I said in my earlier posts in october I had blood visible in my urine .called the dr and was told it was normal. Had my first ejaculation a week later and a lot more blood. The blood in the urine continued on and off with maybe weeks in between with no blood. by december the dr decided to do an enoscopy and a cat scan of my kidneys. Through all of this there was never any discomfort or pain. The tests showed no kidney issues and that prostate was very vascular and that was causing the bleeding. on a follow up visit to get these results I was seen by the drs assistant who in an effort to explore all avenues advised an MRI just to be certain there were no underlying issues not observed with the cystosocopy. After that test I was told, no cancer suspicious areas but did show hemmorageing from the tubes that send semen from the testicles out of the penis. This would mean going for another surgery and having these vessels corrected. So every time i have an ejaculation the bleeding would be more intense than it has been. s it time for a lawyer?

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not sure if I had a button TURP as the literature I was given prior to the op mentioned a diathermy loop. However, I can say that my mean flow rate has doubled from 6ml/sec to 12ml/sec even though I am still swollen and so expect that to improve with time. It's only 5 days after the op so I'm quite OK with things at the moment. I was irrigated for around 30 hours after the op with a 3-way catheter (one valve to inflate/deflate the balloon holding the catheter in place, one valve to allow the flushing saline solution in and the third valve to allow all the rubbish out) and this was stopped 6pm the day after the op. The catheter was removed 6am the following day and I was discharged around 9 hours later but had to wait a little longer for paperwork to be completed. As I could see small bits of flesh being flushed out of the bladder 24 hours after the op I can only assume I had the diathermy loop TURP. I'm waiting to see what happens when the scab is shed in a couple of weeks time and then at the follow-up two weeks after that.

• Posted

Grunthos according to Wikipedia; diathermy is electrically created heat used in therapy & surgery. From what I've read both the monopolar & bipolar TURP use that.

Also, two US urologists told me that almost all TURPs today are bipolar.

I think you got a bipolar TURP with a certain kind of diathermy.

Anyway, glad to hear your results are good so far.

Monday I will have my TURP & I also hope that goes well.

Best wishes, BB

• Posted

Good luck with your procedure. I hope everything goes as planned.

• Posted

Hi,

Going okay so far. had a meeting with the consultant last week. The biopsy found a small amount of cancer ( less than 5 %) and non-aggressive, measuring 3+3 on the Gleason scale. Nothing to worry about and it is going to be monitored every 3 months with PSA and MRI scans.

Overall, I am positive with the outcome and pleased that I had the operation. My quality of life has been enhanced and with moderation I am sure that I will be healthy for the foreseeable future.

Andrew

• Posted

Thanks Grunthos.

Continued positive results on your recovery.

BB

• Posted

Hi bb,

As far as I know from searching on the Internet, monopolar TURP uses the diathermy loop and bipolar TURP is the same as button TURP.

From the net "Bipolar TURP appears to be just as effective as traditional TURP at shrinking the prostate. A few studies have suggested at some advantages of this newer procedure, but there isn’t a lot of long-term evidence to prove that it’s any better than regular TURP. One advantage of bipolar TURP is that all the energy stays inside the device. In regular (or monopolar) TURP, the electric current can leave the wire and damage tissues around the prostate."

I'll pm you the web address if you wish.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Grunthos; The quote you posted compliments the information you were given by the hospital. Thanks for sharing that. There is always more to learn about these procedures.

BB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.