TURP Update

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I had my first follow-up today, 3 weeks after my TURP. I was a bit apprehensive as I was phoned by the hospital and asked to come in as soon as I could. Obviously I imagined the worse but everything is OK, all benign.

I did have two problems after the TURP. The first was that my penis was traumatised by the irrigation catheter. What happened was that my foreskin was retracted for the op and it swelled up. Just like putting a rubber band around my penis and clamping me to the catheter! The removal of the catheter was prolonged and painful. It probably only took five seconds instead of two but it seemed like an eternity. It took two weeks before I was comfortable holding it to have a pee. The second problem was that I had a UTI a week after surgery. That's been dealt with and I'm quite happy.

So far so good. My average flow rate has doubled compared to before the TURP and signs are that my bladder is emptying fully.

I will be followed up in another nine weeks when I will have a proper flow test and bladder scan.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grunthos:

Glad to hear that the TURP appears to have gone well. If you don't mind, it would be helpful if you could provide some details such as the size of your prostate before and after and any other test results you wish to make available. For example what is your average flow rate now?

Were you considering any other procedures? If so, what is it that made you decide on TURP? Also, do you know which of the TURP procedures you had (i.e . button TURP, etc.).

This type of information might be useful to those of us who are still on the fence regarding a BPH procedure. Thanks.

• Posted

I have no idea of the size of my prostate. That was never ever mentioned to me. No scans just a cystoscopy where my uro said I had an enlarged median lobe October 2016.

My average flow rate was 6 ml/sec before the op, now it's over 12 and should get better.

I opted for TURP because I have CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukaemia) and should have had chemo for CLL last year. Chemo was delayed because I needed a prostate op and the prostate op was delayed because my uro was concerned about CLL!! The quickest op was TURP. I was offered HoLEP but was told there was a six-month waiting list so I bit the bullet and chose TURP.

If circumstances were different and I had more time I would have chosen Rezum, then HoLEP and finally TURP. I'm in the UK under the NHS and am not sure if any other procedures are available for free.

• Posted

They should have given priority over other patients due to your circumstances.

• Posted

Grunthos,

I believe from a previous post that you had a PVR of about 200ml, is that correct? Have you measured it post TURP? My issue is that I can't fully empty my bladder so it keeps waking me up at night. It takes me 10 and sometimes 20 minutes to get the bladder empty enough so that I can get back to sleep, then, about an hour and a half later, I'm up again for the same ordeal.

Wondering if you experienced anything like this and how are you doing now?

Tom

• Posted

Hi tom68211,

I was retaining 60 to 65ml. Directly after the TURP that went up to 85 but I have not been scanned since then. I was physically examined yesterday and the locum uro said he thought my bladder was empty but that was hardly scientific.

One of my problems is that I have nocturnal polyuria and produce more urine at night than in the day. I've measured my input/output and normally void two litres overnight in six or more visit to the bathroom. I'm being referred to a nephrologist to see if that can be sorted out.

Regards

• Posted

At the moment three to four litres but before the TURP two to three litres.

In my youth I was a beer drinker and would drink three or four pints three or four times a week in my favourite pubs in the evening. I've cut down on the alcohol intake and still drink the occasional beer but I try to stick to alcohol-free beer and soft drinks these days.

• Posted

I was drinking 3 litres after my last laser procedure and passing too much in the night.

My Uro said it was too much and try to stay just around 2 litres. Of course those in a hot climate need more.

• Posted

I can understand that. As I had a UTI just two weeks ago and I'm also still peeing debris from the TURP I've been advised to keep flushing the bladder as much as I can.

• Posted

Once you are able to reduce the fluid intake to around 2 liters per day, it might be worth trying compression socks - especially if you have swelling in the lower leg area. I have no noticeable swelling, but I record my daily urinations religiously. When I use compression socks during the daytime (not while sleeping), I am able to reduce getting up at night to 1 to 2 trips from 2 to 3 trips. There are some posts on compression socks and why they can work on this site. Compression socks don't reduce the daily amount urinated, however, they can help with the distribution of how much is urinated during the daytime versus nighttime.

• Posted

Nitrofuratoin was prescribed. Because I have CLL (blood cancer) I cannot take Trimethoprim as there is a contra-indication for blood disorders. I don't think Cip is prescribed in the UK for UTIs.

Thanks for your concern.

• Posted

As I said previously I have noturnal polyuria.

I produce very small amounts of urine during the day.

My legs do not swell.

I am being referred to a nephrologist.

Regards

• Posted

Compression socks can help with nocturnal polyuria. There is a post or two on compression socks started by owen on this site. To me it's a safe alternative to try instead of taking more pills (I'm already on alfuzosin and dutasteride). Good luck.

• Posted

It is prescribed in the UK and worldwide for UTI's . I some countries it can be bought without a prescription and self administered. It is even prescribed just in case for travellers to take on holiday for stomach upsets and other things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.