Tvt surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm 1 week pre op I haven't been told what I can do and can't do apart from don't heavy lifting. It's been hard as a single mum with 3 children my youngest is 17 months which she is so clingy I know I can't pick her up been so hard.wanted some advice on what I can do and can't I'm also a carer for elderly just wondered if anyone else does this job .

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa I can imagine this is really hard for you especially with 3 children. You do need to take it easy and not push yourself. I'm about 10 weeks post op went back to work after 8 weeks but told them I will not do any standing or lifting, which I haven't. So if you're job involves those things I would give yourself a good time to heal you don't want to set yourself back...So take care.

• Posted

Thanks for reply I stand at work most the time and do a lot of bending as wash the service users and dress them I'm not going back to work for a while just worried what I can do . Getting so bored lol .

• Posted

Are you fixing a prolapse as well as the TVT?  Or just the TVT?

I think if you are getting the TVT only, the recovery isn't quite as hard... but I don't know what the restrictions are as I just know the prolapse recommendations. 

• Posted

Yes had anterior repair and transobturator tape done x
    • Posted

I had a prolapse and the tvt repair so not really sure if it's the same. I know the boredom can get to you and some days I didn't feel to bad did a couple of jobs but it did me in a bit. I remember the advice I was given was that your body will tell you when your tiered and when you are put your legs up and rest. My first 2 weeks I did nothing at all but unlike you didn't have kiddie's but did miss picking up my granddaughter. So try rest as much as you can. Don't know about you but I don't want to go through it again x

• Posted

Definitely don't want to go through it again I've been resting but have done some washing up I don't know if I should be in can't do a lot with baby like dress her or change nappy as she won't stay still and don't want to strain my belly maybe just rest x

• Posted

You are right Dorry, if it's a TVT recovery is about 6 weeks even less in some cases.

• Posted

I think there are some general recommendations from hospitals in the sticky post, but for me I was told just to rest the first two weeks.  Rest as in other people taking care of the kids and bringing me food.   Lots of rest.  I gradually did more as I could but I didn't take a (very short) walk until a month had gone by.  I slowly built up but it took about 14 weeks for me to feel like the op wasn't limiting me.  I read that it takes 12 weeks for the body to fully form the scar tissue and heal, so you really are limited for a long time.

I read a kindle book about recovering from gynaecological surgery by Sue Croft.  I found it really helpful as I wasn't given much in the way of recovery directions.

• Posted

Oh maybe I just rest then they don't really tell you much at the hospital. Thanks for your help most appreciated x

• Posted

I had posterior repair and sling I'm a disability support worker so same tasks as you I'm 7 weeks post op and only back to work yesterday but requested light duties in a letter from my gp he said it's a full 3 month recovery said bobbed making lifting Laundry baskets or doing laundry as it's a lot of bending up and down etc im placed in the community for a few weeks until I can go back to the respite centre smile

• Posted

That's a big help I will see consultant before I go back any way . I have so many I have to bend down for will just have to have lighter duties x

• Posted

The Genitourinary Prolapse home page has information under Useful Resources that you will find helpful particularly the South Tees information. For the first couple of weeks you shouldn't lift anything heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea. Don't be concerned if your pain gets worse around the 3rd to 4th week, that's the sutures tightening. They'll eventually dissolve but can take up to 16 weeks.

• Posted

Thank you I will have a look I feel OK in myself. Hard baby trying to climb all over me today .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.