Two hour drive in car

Posted , 12 users are following.

My Husband wants me to go to a meeting with him. It involves a two hour drive there and back, plus sitting in low chairs with no arms, using normal  height toilets etc etc. I just don't feel like going. Also one person thjnjs j am all better now. 10 weeks and 6 weeks after 2 knee replacements. I hsve been walking a lot to get fit, did 4 km today and am exhausted. also baby sat every last week. I feel really guilty not wanting to go with my hubby.am I being unreasonable wantingto stay home and sleep??? 

2 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

No!

Can you use a normal height toilet at home? If not, there is a good enough reason.

It is all too easy to fall into the trap of doing all these things after any illness has apparently been "dealt with" whether by surgery or medication and I and my other forum friends get it all the time: "You're on pred and you look so well and everything is fine now..." Even some doctors do it.

However - doing it at home is one thing as you can go and lie/sit down and have a rest if it all gets too much. As it obviously is to some extent at least - your week makes me feel tired just reading about it! If you are away from home - and obviously not just round the corner - it is a totally different matter. Even just sitting in the car is hard work, you can't stop and get out and wander around to loosen your legs up - and I can just imagine the average man's response to requests to stop every 20 mins! 

There will be a disabled loo somewhere (or should be at least) but on balance - if it were me I'd be shelving the guilt and staying at home for some well-earned peace and quiet.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you went you could set your recovery back and make your Christmas more painful and uncomfortable than it would be if you stayed at home and rested. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

After two tkr's I think you should do what you want. Your body knows best.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sandra. .. can your husband not see that it would be too much for you. ... If I sit in a chair for two hours I can barely get up. ... ultimately it's your decision. .. personally I wouldn't go... I have learned over the last 12 weeks since my op.... I need to be a wee bit selfish sometimes for my own good.... good luck whatever you decide. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi sandra

i'm 12weeks post op and I know I wouldn't be wanting to go on a 2 hour drive let alone all the other things you say.

smile sweetly and make your excuses ....develop a headache/ cold/ flue/ anything as an excuse lol 

then have an easy day just relaxing on your own 

Jeanbiggrin

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, I was in the same position as you last week. My husband was invited to a swanky dinner and wanted me to go. I didn't feel up to it, even though I had been to the Stones concert at 4 weeks post op, and Katy Perry concert last week. I felt that a dinner would require my full attention, I can't give that at the moment on these meds.

At Jiminy Cricket said, always let your consciounce be your guide, listen to your body. If your body is saying no, then don't do it.

have a good sleep

Caz - 10 weeks post TKR Australia

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You probably could do it but it is about recovery from extended activity. I find that I sign up to things because I like to contribute my bit r other people think I am probably ok and I don't want to let them down but then later, the next few days I struggle to get through normal activity and no one else really knows. If it is important then make him understand that going will create huge recovery issues and he should feel obliged to help you through it as much as he can. Because realistic full recovery could be 12/18 months. Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sandra. I completely agree with Gloria.  You need to think of yourself and although it may peeve your hubby, it will be you who will have to go through the inevitable pain after the event.  Your poor body has been through two traumatic knee ops and needs a lot of time to recover.  I am 16 weeks post op and although I am getting around really well, there are still days when the pain etc gets the better of me.  I certainly couldn't do a two hour car journey without several stops! Explain how you feel about the trip then stay home and rest those poor knees in peace and quiet.  All the best xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sandra. Bit of a dilemma for you and this trip will take you right out of your comfort zone. You are walking well, but its the sitting and anxiety which bother you most. 

At home you know where everything is and that is your security blanket, and because both knees have been done this complicates things more. At 10weeks you still have a long way to go. I know its dissapionting but you have had 2major ops, no way are you better Sandra. Think very hard, I think at this time it may be a step too far. Take care x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As I look at the numbers, you would be looking at either 4 or 6 hrs of sitting, depending on if that's 2 hrs each way or just one way. Then you have to ask yourself if you Could sit that long at home with your leg hanging down in a low chair. Its one thing to be u comfortable at home and another to be away from home. As I have posted on numerous occasions, being kind to yourself is one of the .most important pieces of the healing process. Having to be pushed into doing things that are exhausting and pain inducing because of my role as caregiver to my wife who is in advancing stages of parkinsons disease, I have noticed a setb a ck on numerous occasions. Do what's best for you. Take it as a sincere compliment that your company is desired but you just have to slow dowon doing things that are harmful which might include your day care service. Sounds like your inner self is saying stay home and rest.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with the others - if you have doubts, don't go. I remember my consultant was concerned about DVT threat when I asked about a long car journey in the early weeks. You could play that card😊 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and support. I am.not going. I really have overdone it the last few days and am really tired achey and weepy. My body is telling me to rest so that it what I will do. My husband has been VERY good during my recovery, holding the fort while working etc. He is ok with me staying home. so I am going to have a lazy day with my legs up.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear you're staying at home and putting your feet up.

Kind regards,

Gill X

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up