two weeks in

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks on flu. Week one was four days of manic anxiety, then a few days when I thought it was working. Into the second week and I have trouble sleeping, cannot concentrate on anything for more than 5 minutes, got shakes in my legs.

Is this normal? When does the good stuff kick in? My depression tells me that everything is pointless and I wonder if this drug is pointless though I know that I should stick with it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Balamin

The problems (side effects) you are experiencing are perfectly 'normal'.

I've been on flu since Dec 08 and found the first 6 weeks very up and down. After that and an increase in dose to 40mg, things settled down a bit.

Hang in there - your system will take a while to get used to the meds. Keep taking the tabs and if you have any concerns/worries, send a post. There's always someone out there in cyberland to offer reassurance.

Best wishes

xx

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Helps to know there are others out there!

Is it usual to start at 20mg and then up the dose later if there's no real change after a certain time?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi there

I believe 20mg is the minimum that the docs start anyone on. I asked to increase after 10 weeks as i felt 20mg was no longer working for me. 40mg works for me - most of the time.

Everyone is different and everyones circumstances differ too.

You have to give it time - patience is one thing i didn't have in the early stages (and still don't have! :lol: ) but used to have before all this started.

Best wishes. xx

• Posted

Hi Meganpooch and everyone,

Thanks for this forum - it is helping me.

Had to go out yesterday to give a small presentation then on to what turned out to be a brief, unexpected interview. (I am basically jobless and incomeless at the moment). All went okay but I near collapsed on return home.

This morning back to extreme anxiety and a day on my own. Feel like i want to crawl into a hole and cover my head and escape from it all.

Maybe tomorrow will look brighter .....

all the best and thanks

• Posted

Hi Balamin

I know its pretty awful first month on these tablets. I suffered increased anxiety also, I suffer from panic attacks, I am on wk 9 and I am glad to tell you that my panic attacks are much diminished and have only anxiety left at times, depending on what i am doing. So stick with it, one day at a time and keep positive!

missi x

• Posted

Hi all,

Realise that it helps me a bit posting something every few days so sorry if it becomes a bit dull!

had two days this week when I could hardly move, eat or do anything at all. Daytime TV is dire but it engaged me enough to quieten the stuff in my head.

Today a bit better - managed to cross one or two things off a to do list. But just have this deadness inside which is probably preferable to high anxiety. Everything seems so futile most of the time and I am always so happy to get to the end of the day and get to bed though I know that I will wake up with such a huge feeling of despair.

Thanks ......

• Posted

I'm 2 weeks into taking Flu as well. Although I don't feel as anxious all the time I do still have some anxiety ..... it's that horrible knotty feeling deep in your stomach. The one you used to get when you were a teenager and saw your boyfriend/girlfriend with someone else!

I've had a shaky feeling too but I put that down to not eating properly, my appetite upped and left about 6 weeks ago - never been known before, I'm not too upset about the weight loss it has to be said. The problem is that it's kind of slipped into dizzy spells.

I went back to see my GP this evening, she's lovely and wants to sign me off work for longer (I have been off for nearly 3 months having had yet another back operation), she is also keen to send me for counselling. This is the first sympathetic GP I have come across and I'm hanging onto her. I'm going to go back to work as planned, on shorter days (4 hours) and see how it goes. I think I need to get some routine back into my life and not spend all day staring at the walls thinking about my woes.

I'm going to stick with the tablets, I think they are helping, I certainly don't feel any worse.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but is nice to off-load to those that know.

Hope you all have better days coming your way.

Doof (Sandra)

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the thread! How well I am coming to know the knotty stomach feeling!

Yes, my days have gotten a bit better. Feels now like I am back where I started a while before I started taking flu. Still have a lot of despair, emptiness and so on around but I have had some better days. The mornings are very hard though still. But I also have a gp who seems to be understanding.

I have to have a hip replacement op soon and I worry about being home on my own after while recovering and then, when better, I have to try and find a job. I can think that I ought to just take one day at a time but I always have this anxiety inside around what the future holds and it feels ike the answer is very little.

But one day at a time works. And soon I hope the flu will kick in with something a bit more positive.

Routine is good though, just doing something that needs to be done. Not easy though a lot of the time.

Take care

B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.