Two weeks later - Pre op gallbladder removal issues??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago and it's went pretty well. Bar the first four days where I was had the usual issues, but since then I have been doing really well. 

Last night I had a slight twinge when I moved around, to the right of my belly button and the skin felt sensitive to touch, but I assumed that it may be a delayed irritation to the dressings I had been wearing until  recently. 

But tonight, I have had increased pain in that area, it's like pain I've never had before, almost like crushed glass almost right under the skin. I can't really explain it, the skin isn't warm , or protruding and most of what I can find seems to be about pain to the left of the bellybutton. All my wound are healing well including the umbilical wound and I don't have any pain there. Could it be a nerve issue?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm back to work in two days. As long as I know that it'll eventually vanish and not get worse, then I can manage it. 

Thanks in advance :-)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should be fine but go back to the doctor and see if you don't have a hernia remember diet diet diet no fat no fried no sweets small meals

• Posted

Hi Sal, 

I went to the doctor this morning and she said reckoned it’s all part of the process and it would take a few more weeks to heal. Her CSection took 6 months to feel normal.

I seem to be able to eat fat and all sorts this week and nothing happens! So I’m hoping that continues! 😊 xx

• Posted

You're not listen to me keep on eating that way and you're gonna be in the ER in a couple weeks it takes sometimes a week or 2 for an attack to occur you're putting stress on your pancreas and it causes inflammation which causes these attacks Stick to a low fat diet or you will regret it sometimes it takes a week or 2 to eat bad and then all of the sudden you get a severe attack in your knee are so it's up to you like I said I've been dealing with this for 15 years and when I stick to a fat free diet I don't get a tax for sometimes up to a year to

• Posted

My bellybutton scar and the one at the top of my chest were both super sensitive. One at the top still is! The bellybutton one actually ended up infected almost 3 weeks later as had managed to tear open the wound the week before. It then opened up again a few weeks later and had lots of pus underneath. It may just be skin sensitivity or possibly is the muscles and  skin layers underneath just healing. Can take a good while for this to heal. Make sure not to lift anything too heavy as you’re at risk of getting a hernia. If you’re  worried though there’s no harm in getting it checked out. Hope you heal soon and your return to work goes ok 😘 xx

• Posted

Ouch Scottie! That sounds painful. I hope you’re well on the mend now, not a good experience for you.  Xx
  • Posted

Hi Aisling, its still early days remember and think what they had inside your belly with all the instruments and the gas bloating you up. It takes time as you're less an organ, and your body has to heal inside which takes longer. You have had major surgery even though it was done via keyhole.

I would say though that if this pain continues and doesn't improve then go and see your doctor. Be careful with how much you do especially if you twist as that can give you immense pain. You maybe tender for sometime afterwards but thats all part of the healing process. 

Take care and try not to over do things.

• Posted

Thanks Katherine. 

I decided to go to the doctor this morning and she pretty much said what you just did!☺️ She also adviced me not to go back to work for another week, but unfortunately that’s not something I can do. I also got my dates missed up, and it’s only been 10 days since I’ve had it done so it makes sense that I’d still be having issues. She reminded me that even though it’s all looks fine on the outside, it’s a very different story on the inside and that’s easy to forget. I suppose it’s just a case of trying to take it as easy as possible after work for the next few weeks, and getting lots of sleep.  

It’s funny, the amount of information I saw online before I had the operation about what an easy to recover from operation it is, really didn’t prepare me for the reality. Even all the doctors etc, all said you can eat what you want straight away, rest a few days and you’re grand. It’s just not the simple. Thanks for you’re advice.☺️ Xx 

• Posted

oh 10 days is still really early, I had 3 weeks off of work but I did have to do some from home as I'm self employed. Even when I went back to work I got tired really quickly so just take care and don't push yourself too hard and take pain relief if you need too.

Some people are able to eat all foods again after surgery but alot it takes a while longer. I was just very careful with the food I ate after surgery and to be honest anything very fatty like a roast, I still have to be careful as it can upset your stomach. I can eat anything but some I have to have less of which isn't a bad thing. So take it easy with food and re-introduce foods gradually then you can see if it upsets you or not and leave some alot longer to add to your diet.

Yes I was the same and not having an operation before like so many people on here you really don't know what to expect. 

Take you time with healing and then you'll be fine. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.