Two weeks post op advice please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am now two weeks post op. Everything has been going fine but the last few days I have been feeling like i am having bile issues. Horrible taste in my mouth soreness around gallbladder area and to the right side a bit on and off,  and keep getting headaches whihc is unusual for me. I also keep coming over hot. No temp. This seems to be worse when I eat  although first thing in the morning is bad too. Ive tried to get a gp appointment but as per usual  my gps on holiday! So got to wait till monday. I dont feel its urgent so ill see how i go but could just do with some advice on if others had the same syptoms and what is the best way to treat it for now. I am eating very bland things porridge, fish pie etc and keeping off anything hard to digest for now and im doing very low fat too. Bowels seem to be  doing ok so happy with everything else for now its just this bile thing.

Thanks for reading x

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jane,

Have you spoken to the NHS 111 service.  They will be able to help you.  But if I were you I'd carry on with the very bland diet for the next few months before slowly introducing anything with high fat in it.  Are you drinking enough water?  That may account for the headaches and the bile and the taste in the mouth.  I found morning was worse for me too.  Try extra pillows when you sleep.  The soreness around the gallbladder area may very well be it healing itself from the inside.  And continue to take it easy for a bit.  It is very early days for you.  Oh, and keep taking the tablets etc!  Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I havent spoken to NHS 111. I could get an emergency appointment at the drs but id rather talk to my own dr as shes the only one that really understands my history as have other health issues. I dont feel its urgent but just annoying. If it continues i will definetly get an appointment before monday. Thanks for the advice on diet. I normally follow a low fat diet any way so im not going to be having high fat foods. I think sometimes we forget it is still early days and  our bodies have a lot of healing going on.I will try more pillows to , thanks smile
  • Posted

Hi! I feel the same way but because i'm concern about my post-op diet, what i ate on those weeks after surgery are mashed banana,clear soup or baby food like cerelac. And until now i have different taste buds. It'll take some time to be fully recovered. About the soreness, i've taken out mine last June and until now at this moment around my gall bladder area is still in pain but if the pain is severe and the 'gall bladdder attack' comes i'll take pain killer just to relieve the pain. but not always.You'll be better soon! smile
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think may be i should go back to mashed banana and soups for a bit to give my digestion a rest. Thanks so much for the advice smile
    • Posted

You're very much welcome! smile i know how it feels like so i wanna help others in small ways. smile Let's be Healthy! smile
  • Posted

Hi Jane

I to have had this and other probs since my op in Feb this year. If you are having porridge dont use diary milk, either water or Almond soya. I have had to completley stop all dairy products and spice/fried food as sickness and pain worse if l eat those things.

I was told you will be fine will take up to 2 years for body to right itself in meantime eat high fibre etc etc. 

Everybody is different and feel what works for one does not work for all and it is a question of finding out which food triggers sickness etc and avoid. 

People are confused and upset as different GP's and Hospitals say different things. Do see your GP ans if this impacts on your life tell him. I am lucky have retired just last year but if working could not do so. I wish you well and hope your feeling better very soon.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am dairy free any way and gluten free . Thinking about it I think I may have pushed things a little. I had a very small amount of chicken the other day with some veg and dry roasted potatoes it was all low fat but I think it was too much although had very small amount. The rest of the time i have been sticking to  very sloppy things and have been ok .  The hospital just say you can eat as normal well thats ridiculous advice from what I can make out. The first meal they gave me (and it was about 5 hrs after my op!) before I came home was a baked potato with salad and fatty ham LOL I had two fork fulls of potato and that was it! I have just made some vegtable soup so sticking to soup today until this settles. Thanks for your help smile
    • Posted

Marion sorry your still having side effects too. Am just wondering if your doctor told you about it taking 2 years? Most doctors say there aren't any side effects! Thankfully my gp has experienced it and told me a year! Although it's just 9 months now I'm better than what I was but not fully right. Your right doctors tell us different things and everyone reacts differently to the operation too. I agree about the dairy too. I only use rice milk now. Anyway hope you continue to improve. Unfortunately it's a gradual thing which my gp did advise me about. Take care xx
  • Posted

"I to have had this and other probs since my op in Feb this year. If you are having porridge dont use diary milk, either water or Almond soya. I have had to completley stop all dairy products and spice/fried food as sickness and pain worse if l eat those things.I was told you will be fine will take up to 2 years for body to right itself in meantime eat high fibre etc etc. "

marion18092's post is fact. its also a good advice smile

• Posted

Very familiar with your symptoms. Your surgeon/consultant  can advise if they persist. Stay off fatty food (including mayo!)
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April. First thing in hte morning is

sometimes bad for me with stomach ache but this is improving.

I have also been quite constipated, I thinkmy body is still njust adjusting, it does take time.

Other than that I am being careful not to eat anything too fatty and trying to stay off red meat as much as possible.

Hope this settles down for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, It has improved the last day as have been having very sloppy things. It is a bit frustrating having to go back to slop as i have done that for the last 6 months. I just would so love to be able to eat more normal things but i know i will in time. Thanks for caring enough to reply smile
  • Posted

Jane,

Will take some time to feel better. Make sure to take it easy and eat lite foods. Diet is very important for the next few months.

Thanks

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I know I have to be careful  as I feel so much better when just on sloppy meat free things. I have had a little chicken which really upset things so I dont want to go back to the bile probs again. I was just initially disappointed as the hospital just says eat what you like. But now I see they havent a clue smile I am feeling much better today and yesterday  sticking to  soft foods so things are looking good smile
    • Posted

Jane stick to very plain for 6-12 weeks at the minimum. Then add things in very slowly. The body has to learn how to adjust without the gallbladder to break everything down. The liver now has to take over the role of the gallbladder and learn to adjust. We are not told the truth prior to this operation as most people would not go ahead with it if they realised the side effects afterwards. Keep positive. Mornings were worse for me too and I did have that bile taste too. It's awful. For most it settle within 6 months and like someone else said it can take 2 years. My gp told me to expect side effects for at least a year. I know a lot of people who've had the operation who told me they were great afterwards but when I started having side effects and went back and spoke to them again nearly all had side effects that did go away after a period of time. Only 1 person has diarrhea long term that I know. Glad to hear your feeling better today. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.