Two weeks post TKR op. What should I be doing?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know every knee is different but please could somebody give me an idea of where I should/could be on this long journey. I have only just( yesterday) been  able to take the correct medication to manage my pain. I had my first decent sleep last night. I can't really think about being able to get out in the real world yet but the sun is shining and maybe I could get out on the scooter kindly loaned my a neighbour. Even though in pain I may enjoy a change of scene in a few days or so.It depends too if I could get my knee bend a little better, at present 80 degrees.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ice and elevation are very important at this stage, always elevate when your resting it will help take down swelling which in turn helps with bending. Do your exercises 3 times daily and you should soon notice improvement.
  • Posted

Hi, don't worry, it's very early days yet. Don't think I'd even ventured out of the house apart from going to docs for dressing change. It is a long journey, but you've had the worst. I found after 3 weeks I could just see a glimmer over the horizon.  Then every week following I got better and better. It's just so frustrating at the beginning. Keep resting, icing, exercising and sleeping. The rest will happen in its own time.  Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Im 5 wks today and have seen such an improvement almost daily. Had first proper physio yesteday and found out that the excercises I was doing on the bed should be done on a hard surface. as I cant get on the floor or back up I got a piece of board to do them, pushing the back of the knee down 5 secs 15 times, putting rolled up towel under knee, 5 secs 15 times and she gave me a long piece of rubber  banding to tie on a chair leg and around my ankle to pull it straight hold for 5 secs and release 15 times and then use it to put round the leg of something sturdy and around the ankle and pull back  hold 5 secs 15 times all to be done 3 times a day.These excersises have really helped in 24 hrs and had the first nights sleep last night in 5 wks! I did not venture outside til at least 3 wks so dont worry you will get there in the end.It takes a while to build your confidence, I feel more confident with a stick than crutches and Im now going for short walks twice a day. I hope this helps as I feel if I had done the excersises on a hard surface my ROM wouldve been better earlier. I also bought a small excersice bike and started doing that at 4 wks, I believe that has helped too.
  • Posted

Thank you for your advice. I will take it slowly then as I think I've done too much today. It's the first day I've felt the pain has been under control.

The board is a good idea as I wouldn't be able to get up once I was on the floor.I think we've probably got something in the garage.

Chico.....Thank you for all your informative posts. They are so helpful. 

• Posted

Rest, pain management, take medication exactly when due!!! Youtube basic exercises after knee replacement, do them, no excuses if possible. Ice when you have swelling and rest and walk around the house inside and forget about scooter for a few weeks, perhaps! You will get there! Be patient! Be kind to yourself but do some marching, some bends and push through the discomfort. X
  • Posted

Saralice, u r in my prayers. I chose to get Stem cell therapy instead of the TKR. I am not brave and do very badly with pain medicines. I wish you a speedy recovery that will let you go out and enjoy life again. EV
  • Posted

Hi Saralice!

Congratulations on getting sleep so early in your recovery! That alone will be a HUGE help toward healing! (Took me nine weeks before I slept for four straight hours!)

I found that it helped to walk around in the house every hour. First it was with my walker, and then it was with my cane. After several weeks I would walk near countertops and furniture just in case I needed to grab hold.

Balance exercises are helpful. Stand on one foot to balance when you are near the kitchen counter. Try for a count of 30 then rest and repeat.

Ice, elevate, eat well, drink lots of ice water to flush the toxins of pain meds and anesthesia out of your system.

I prayed all the time for strength, for healing, and for PATIENCE!

Stretching is good. So is distracting yourself with a good book or phone calls to friends.

Look for small gains. These will help you to recognize that you ARE Making progress.

It is a slow process, but it DOES get easier.

Sending prayers your way tonight!😊

• Posted

What lovely, caring posts! Thank you so much. I once again managed six hours sleep last night. I feel so lucky and feel sorry for those who sleep eludes them. Two codydramol and one strong Ibrufen taken regularly throughout the day seem to work for me. I always take them with food and first thing in the morning I take one Omeprazole to help with the Ibrufen.Oh! ...and the regular icing.

Managing the pain after eleven horrendous days has made such a big difference. I can now manage to do the exercises and walk around the house a little every hour, I always have my legs up on two pillows when resting and sleeping.Not just under my knee but the whole leg/legs. I worried at first as I was told it was a No No but my physio said it was fine as long as it was not just under the knee alone affecting the bend, I just hope and pray healing will continue to go forwards and that I do not have any setbacks. I must also say that having a brilliant partner who is so caring has been a Godsend.He is a retired car salesman but I keep telling him that he missed his way, he should have been a nurse. I wont repeat what he said!!

I will try to be more patient as I do not want any setbacks, We all, I know, just want to be mobile, without pain, and enjoy life again. 

Thank you all again for your lovely posts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.