Two years on comparative and have urges to hit head off walls etc

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been on comparative for a couple of years and I constantly have to fight the urge to hit my head off something. I am intelligent enough to understand that it is pressure of depression building up. I would also like to add that I crave sweet foods all the time.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can sympathise with the sugar thing I have never had a sweet tooth but since starting these I have developed 1 I was increased at the beginning of Dec to 300mg I take 150mg in the morning and again at night and I am now having days where I feel really low and weepy and I'm really anxious. I now constantly crave sugar and sweet things and want to eat all the time.
    • Posted

Two years ago I mentioned how much weight I was putting on on the forum and the GPS both areas ignored my plea. I am now dangerously overweight and my mind just craves sweet food to the point I sometimes don't eat a normal meal just crap. I know this is wrong but I cannot get out of this mind set of not caring even though I do care if you understand.

I am in my bed at the moment and cannot bear to start another day and I have been like this for weeks so I just like ln the dark and try and sleep the day away.

• Posted

Since this is on the venlafaxine forum, is Comparative aka venlafaxine?  Have you always had this urge on ven?  How long have you been on it?  Did you have this urge before going on, when you were depressed?
    • Posted

The urge to bang my head is only since I started taking ven. I wish I could wake up tomorrow and not be who I've turned into over the years. I spend my life worried about everything and I can't stop it because my mind won't settle down. I think the urge to bang my head is to settle my thoughts.
    • Posted

This is not a good side effect of Ven for you!  What dosage are you on?  How long have you been at that dosage/  Would you say that feeling this way about yourself has gotten worse on ven?

I was on Ven for 12 years and was "spellbound" by the drug, not realizing that the dissatisfactions I had in my life were worse since going on meds!  I felt the same way as you, that I was just sick of being me, that I wished I could have a lobotomy so I wouldn't care about being me!  Give me a brain transplant with a healthy brain, I would say!  I ended up going off Ven too quicly last year and ended up with protracted withdrawal, 10 months of hell, so I don't recommend that route!  This is a serious drug!  

I reinstated 37.5 mg in June after Remeron did nothing but help me sleep, and only then did I learn about protracted withdrawal.  I have since learned that long term use of antidepressants makes us MORE prone to depression; this is scientifically proven, and I think I had been in tolerance withdrawal, which means that you have withdrawal symptoms though the dosage hasn't changed.

So, I have been SLOWLY tapering and am now on 29 mg, and feel better now than I have for years! I will continue the very slow taper until finally off, but it may take a couple of years to get there.

So, if you could answer my questions, I'd love to help

• Posted

I often wonder if it is a hormone thing that makes us feel lousy. When taking ven it gives you the serotonin your body isn't making so what are we supposed to do without meds.

I came off ven for a week 8 months ago and the doctor replaced them with setraline the next day, by the end of day four my husband had to phone a doctor because I was sitting in a corner frightened to come out

The GPS are not sure what these meds do to you cause the aren't taking them themselves and we aren't all the same.

To finish with I think 10 year down the line I will still be on them to.keep the serotonin levels up as this is obviously the problem. Hopefully they will in vent a fat free chocolate full of serotonin.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up